"Worst investment ever," says person who just paid $3.2 million for the Brady Bunch house

Originally published at: "Worst investment ever," says person who just paid $3.2 million for the Brady Bunch house | Boing Boing

2 Likes

They really Musked it up, didn’t they?

23 Likes

In 2018, HGTV bought , USURPED the property

FTFY

I’m not a fan of Lance Bass, but it still holds true that he got hosed in that auction.

10 Likes

I’m still waiting for this show to come to HGTV…

Video by the lovely folks at LoadingReadyRun.

6 Likes

I know there are some people who like living their lives retro-style, but I doubt there are many who are taste-impaired enough to want to reproduce life in the 1970s.

3 Likes

As crazy as that sounds, it’s not really that unusual for a 5-bedroom house in that neighborhood. Zillow estimates that the slightly smaller 5-bed house across the street from it is worth $3.64M, so the connection to the TV show might have not actually helped this home’s value at all.

12 Likes

Can I get my old Raleigh Chopper back?

12 Likes

i had the lime green one with the stick shift. loved that bike.

8 Likes

I grew up in the 1960’s and 1970’s. Until I was six, we lived in an old Victorian house that we all loved. Then we moved to a rancher that was new and groovy. It was quite stylish at the time and I loved it then. Now? Not so much!

Also, did HGTV reproduce the two doors into the bathroom that the boys and girls shared? :thinking:

5 Likes

I assumed they would open to tours and photo ops etc. But maybe not, because of the traffic? Also you would have to move a lot of people through there for it to be profitable…

$10,000 a night LARP experience where you play a cousin who is coming over for the weekend complete with full cast and cameos?

8 Likes

I think only the exterior of the house was in the TV show?

1 Like

In 2018, HGTV bought the property and rebuilt the interior to make it as close to the TV show as possible, including matching furnishings and props.

4 Likes

Hah wow, I read good

4 Likes

[actually reads the linked article] oh wow, those quotes give a completely different context. She’s a real estate “collector” and will use that house for charity functions. That’s why no one will live in it. But it’s exactly what she wants. Good for her.

20 Likes

Yeah, that changes the context for the quotes quite a lot - and it’s just as well, because it sounds like the alterations to the house to make it match the Brady Bunch interior set changed it from a house into an unlivable set…

The listing also notes that some of the fireplaces, appliances and fixtures throughout the home are “decorative only.”

6 Likes

Uh oh… bringing in a cousin is a sure-fire way to end your show.

6 Likes

Thus the housing market in LA is tightened up for the $ 3 million plus market by 1… one less family will have an option for a place to live in LA. Sigh…

2 Likes

Or alternatively “eat the rich”

5 Likes

6 Likes

Choke on it, Albrecht.
(IYKYK)
I guess karma isn’t that bad a b!tch, if he’s playing around flippin’ millions in bad real estate purchases for funsies (and for losses to offset other tax liabilities).

2 Likes