For years, Facebook has been secretly deleting Zuck's messages from his correspondents' inboxes

Scott Pruitt – giving new meaning to petty tyrant.

1 Like

Followed a few years later with…

“Lets take off and unsave this place from orbit.”

“Its the only way to be sure.”

1 Like

This is still common enough behavior on many sites. It’s rampant on Quora, for example.

2 Likes

Once worked on a distributed chat program (back in the days when the internet was young and everyone was innocent) with a “/recall” command that would ask the recipient’s client to delete a message if it hadn’t been viewed yet. It’s a reasonable feature between friends, less so with a big evil corporation also involved.

We also considered a “/totalrecall” command that would delete a message after it had been viewed… I guess Facebook hasn’t worked out the bugs with that one yet.

2 Likes

That’s why I and most of the other writers I know now quote the original post. Quora is supposed to do that, but it only works if THEY do the edit or merge.

1 Like

This is just another drop in the bucket from a company that’s been acting increasingly skeevy for a long time.
Doesn’t affect me any more though. After over a year of saying ‘if you don’t trust the site, vote with your feet’, I finally hit my own threshold for bullshit and voted with my feet. Hopefully enough people will that it’ll make a difference. I’m open in principle to using a facebook that’s got its shit together, but I’d need to see it first. NPR had a good interview with their COO, and it does sound like she’s at least listening, but I heard a lot of ‘we’re looking into it’ and not a lot of ‘we’re doing things about it’.

Well, duh. All this stuff was on his system all the time.

You want to make sure you keep important stuff1), you copy it to your system. And make multiple backups, because two is one, and one is none. And keep them safe.

1) Like that one e-mail from your boss. You know which one. Depending where and on what you work, it could be your ‘get out of jail’ card one day. Or define what your severance package looks like.

2 Likes

No, no - you don’t “unsafe” places. You make them perfectly safe.

http://lib.ru/ADAMS/dayz1_.txt_with-big-pictures.html

1 Like

Hate to be Mr. Bummer, but Zuck’s solution is the exact opposite of what’s needed.
Then again, It’s the social network run by sociopaths for sociopathic reasons.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.