Forcing a bread and water diet on Navy personnel is now illegal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/13/forcing-a-bread-and-water-diet.html

3 Likes

Next thing you know they will outlaw keelhauling as well…

12 Likes

Rum, sodomy and the lash can’t be too far behind (no pun intended).

5 Likes

convicted civilian criminals get Nutraloaf when they’re locked down for misbehaving. You’d like to think that military personnel could expect at least the same standard of care.

According to Dinosaur Comics - August 6th, 2012 - awesome fun times! , Nutraloaf “tastes so bad there’s been legal challenges against it”.

5 Likes

Thinking about the Navy and food, I am reminded of this scene from The Caine Mutiny involving missing strawberries:

I haven’t seen the movie in its entirety, but I have read the book, and I can tell you it’s an excellent read, richly informative about shipboard life. Here’s what Wikipedia has to say: “Among its themes, it deals with the moral and ethical decisions made at sea by ship captains. The mutiny of the title is legalistic, not violent, and takes place during Typhoon Cobra, in December 1944. The court-martial that results provides the dramatic climax to the plot.”

7 Likes

I was at sea for some time, that was in the ole century. Saw lot worse punishments than Bread & Water for 30 days, much worse.

Maritime Law / Admiralty Law goes back many centuries, and is as draconian as it comes…

6 Likes

Kaffee : Lieutenant, do you know what a code red is?

Lt. Kendrick : Yes, I do.

Kaffee : Have you ever ordered a code red?

Lt. Kendrick : No, I have not.

Kaffee : Lieutenant, did you order Dawson and two other men to make sure that Private Bell receive no food or drink except water for a period of seven days?

Lt. Kendrick : That is a distortion of the truth, Lieutenant. Private Bell was placed on barracks restriction. He was given water and vitamin supplements, and I can assure you that at no time was his health in danger.

Kaffee : [sarcastic] I’m sure it was lovely for Private Bell. But you did order the barracks restriction, didn’t you? You did order the denial of food.

Lt. Kendrick : Yes, I did.

3 Likes

One of my favorite law books in my library is a collection of all the Prize Cases decided by the US Supreme Court (some as late as 1919). Each one is a fantastic tale about – mostly – Civil War and war of 1812 privateering. The best one, and one of the shortest, is about the S/V The Battle.

Basically, a Boston shipwright did work on the ship in the late 1850s and had a lein on the ship. That ship was owned by someone in the south. The ship was captured and awarded at Prize to the captors. The shipwright sued to enforce its lien on the ship. The Court told him that he was out of luck. Don’t do work on Traitor’s ships.

The Supreme Court’s whole opinion read: “That a shipwright’s lien is extinguished at Prize is too well-established to merit further discussion. Affirmed.”

4 Likes

re: extra smooth scrambled eggs…

1 Like

“the amount of bread and water shall not be restricted”

Take a piece of bread and put it in-between two other pieces of bread and you got yourself a sandwich

5 Likes

(Looks at photo of Wonder Bread.)

Seems to me if Wonder Bread is involved in the restrictions, then technically it’s an “air and water diet.”

5 Likes

The bread will now be replaced with cake.

1 Like

I recall watching some youtube video detailing the large-scale baking operations onboard an aircraft carrier. I bet they generally do bake their own fresh bread, at least when out at sea. Even Wonder Bread doesn’t keep indefinitely, and it takes up a ton of space…

Vitamin deficiencies could show up faster than you’d imagine on bread and water

1 Like

to be fair, mutiny is a serious issue when it could lead to everyone on board dying during the power struggle because you hit an iceberg or some shit

that being said, it sounds odd that one boat in particular handed out this punishment so often - maybe the issue was an official who’s too strict rather than a particuarly rowdy crew

Too risky to produce weak seamen.

1 Like

Wonder isn’t bread. It isn’t even extruded bread-foam product.

2 Likes

This seems to be from enriched flour bread. Whole wheat flour has more nutrients.

Forced sodomy/rape is already an accepted and expected punishment in our prisons. It’s even a subject of humor in our society.