Former Apple design chief Jony Ive made King Charles' coronation emblem

Originally published at: Former Apple design chief Jony Ive made King Charles' coronation emblem | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Wasn’t there a yawning emoji they could have used?

4 Likes

Didn’t the first version they showed publicly say “conoration” instead?

2 Likes

I like it. Say what you will about the whole coronation, the logo is great.

17 Likes

I see that they talked Jony down from his original plan of courageously redesigning Charles with a new unibody chassis, removal of superfluous ports, and ‘magic monarch’ capacitive/haptic touch interface.

20 Likes

Whatever you think about monarchy in general or Charles III in particular, that’s a genuinely nice and pleasant emblem. :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Northern Ireland is a country and not a province? And poor Cornwall gets overlooked. Nice looking, though.

5 Likes

Goatse may have been more appropriate.

Spoken like someone who doesn’t live in the UK anymore. We envy you Jony.

4 Likes

Interesting, but too much text and needs more contrast. Reminds me of those tests for colorblindness where you have to read a number in a field of dots.

His mom did it much better. Simple and to the point.

3 Likes

Corporation.

5 Likes

Yes. We don’t have “provinces”.

5 Likes

Ulster is a province. Northern Ireland is sui generis, but generally referred to as a country for consistency with the UK’s other three constituent bits.

7 Likes

They used shamrock for Northern Ireland instead of flax flowers?

2 Likes

It does look attractive and well-balanced.

3 Likes

And Ulster technically includes Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan, which are not Northern Ireland. Most British use of Ulster just means Northern Ireland though.

4 Likes

I’ve only just realised that we get an extra bank holiday for the coronation, hooray!
Hopefully I can spend it like the extra one we got for his mum’s funeral, hanging out with friends a long way from any TV or news.

4 Likes

That advice is good for any holiday!

2 Likes

Cornwall is part of England, as far as I know. Is it still the Duchy of Cornwall?

It’s good, though, that the designer broke with tradition and remembered Wales exists. And the daffodil is more recognizable than a leek would be.

3 Likes
1 Like

“…the Cornishman is poor, rough and boorish…”
– Lodovico Falier, 1531

Never mind, always glad to welcome fellow Brythons.

“Fee, fie, fo, fum, I smell the blood of a Cornishman!” was apparently the original form of the couplet.

While we’re at it:
Freedom for Mercia!

1 Like