Former Facebook exec Randi Zuckerberg "disgusted & degraded" by harassment on Alaska Airlines flight

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/30/former-facebook-exec-randi-zuc.html

10 Likes

The Zuck will get’em for that.

1 Like

Seriously, she ought to sue the crap out of the guy – she certainly has the pocketbook for it – and drag Alaska Airlines through all kinds of discovery about how they tolerate this shit. Since, obviously, they tolerate this shit.

18 Likes

Aha, this is why they want your face on record! Gonna match it with a pic of this guy.

I can’t believe this was a known issue and they still let him fly. A captain has kicked people out for much, much less.

I think I’d have live streamed it on facebook if they refused to do anything about it. Or record and post later.

15 Likes

Moral of the story: if you’re a woman and don’t want to be shushed by a flight crew indifferent to the leering alcohol-soaked asshole in the next seat over, be powerful and famous enough to ruin their bosses’ day.

Also: famous, powerful people who can utilize social media to hurt your company generally don’t look any different from other people, so dismissing a random person’s complaints about sexual harassment is generally a really bad idea. They might be Zuck’s sister.

24 Likes

I posted an anecdote about a similar story my sister witnessed on a Southwest flight a while ago. The attendants were apologetic, but basically did nothing.

(If you didn’t read the original post, the guy passed out drunk and then my sister and the lady getting harassed took selfies with his passed out body.)

6 Likes

I’m guessing the guy is white.

14 Likes

lets generalize that.

Moral of the story:If you want something to happen (or stop happening), Be significantly Richer than everyone else involved.

13 Likes

White and in First Class. If he’d been flying Coach, they wouldn’t have tolerated it.

11 Likes

I think you a word, there.

18 Likes
  1. Good for her.
  2. She flies commercial?
3 Likes

Now if she flew steerage like the rest of us schmucks, she’d be in better, more polite company.

5 Likes

It should be fairly easy, in this day and age, to learn the identity of the harassing passenger and out him to the world. Perhaps he has a wife/children/boss who would be surprised at his behavior when on the road.

1 Like

Moral of the story: if you’re a woman and don’t want to be shushed by a flight crew indifferent to the leering alcohol-soaked asshole in the next seat over, be powerful and famous enough to ruin their bosses’ day.

Except, even with all that privilege, she was shushed.

11 Likes

It’s precisely because people with the power and influence to effect change have remained silent for generations that rape culture has been allowed to prosper. Whatever you may think of her former employer or brother, Randi Zuckerberg is using her power for good in this instance and we need more people in positions of power doing the same.

13 Likes

So she’s basically shocked that Airlines have about an Facebook-level of interest in preventing harassment.

9 Likes

I keep having flashbacks to the Wolf of Wall Street airplane scenes here…

Why should the woman have to move in order to correct someone else’s offense? She paid good money for that seat, and she did nothing wrong. To blame her in any way for the situation is insensitive, sexist, and yes, victim-blaming, period.

It was the flight attendants’ responsibility to provide hospitality and safety to all passengers. They should have cut off the offenders’ liquor supply, and yet they didn’t. They should have made him move, and yet they didn’t. The flight attendants did not do their job. Though, of course, the person primarily at fault is the asshole who acted like a fool in the first place.

21 Likes

2 Likes

I don’t understand why they want to distribute alcohol in a moving aircraft in the first place :confused:

1 Like