Former FBI director Andrew McCabe indictment imminent? Trump's federal prosecutors appear to be scheming

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/26/andrew-mccabe-indictment-immin.html

Trump foe may be charged by Trump cronies with lying to federal agents

2 Likes

I figured that the Orange Skull would wait until his second term to start settling scores. My only hope is that heā€™s doing this because heā€™s starting to doubt there will be a second term. Sucks for McCabe, though.

13 Likes

My only hope for the continued viability of the US as a respectable democracy is for Trump to lose in 2020 and for the GOP to lose its majority in the Senate to such an extent that they are out of power for another 20 years. The electorate needs to send a message: this is not a banana republic.

22 Likes

Iā€™m afraid it is. Just look at it.

38 Likes

While this is obviously political and against the rule of law, there is a part of me that desperately wants to see a former FBI directly arrested for lying to FBI agents. I highly doubt that you become FBI director without overseeing a lot of people being railroaded into bullshit charges, probably with a lot of smug confidence that this sort of thing happens to them not to you.

7 Likes

Isnā€™t everybody glad that nobody tied Trump up with impeachment proceedings?

Whew, now heā€™s got a nice big packet of time to set the agenda the way he wants to.

/s

15 Likes

Wasnā€™t McCabe winding up for a wrongful termination lawsuit? This seems like a natural extension of Trumpā€™s ā€œWhen they sue, I sue harderā€ legal philosophy, but now he can use criminal courts, not just civil ones *shivers*.

ETA:

17 Likes

[laughs in banana]

3 Likes

This shit is masterful. It makes everything seem like tit-for-tat squabbling and inside baseball nonsense, and it keeps the narrative framed in terms of the fucking Clinton Foundation. Goddamn this guy is probably going to get re-elected.

5 Likes

trumpā€™s written replies to Mueller contained lies to federal agents, soā€¦

congress really needs to get itā€™s butt back in session and re-light the fire under this administration asap before it goes cold

7 Likes

I donā€™t know if Iā€™d call that masterful. I think usually politicians like to keep arresting people for actual crimes out of the realm of the tit-for-tat squabbling. Remember how shocked everyone was at the ā€œLock her upā€ chants, saying ā€œIn America we donā€™t jail our political opponents.ā€ The thing is, that was true even when political opponents were guilty of crimes. Trump and probably many of the current administration have real crimes to be charged with. Iā€™d think theyā€™d want to keep up the ā€œwe donā€™t arrest you, you donā€™t arrest usā€ rule.

But I guess if Trump has no plans to ever leave office then there is nothing to worry about.

10 Likes

I donā€™t think they have any intention of maintaining rules of any kind, as demonstrated by everything they do/say/believe in.

5 Likes

Iā€™m sorry, ā€œrespectable democracy?ā€ I find this phrase confusing when used in the context of U.S. presidential elections. Perhaps we differ on our definitions of one or both of those words?

1 Like

I canā€™t imagine Trump directly ordered any of this - that would require him to have some vague understanding of how things work. More likely, the people he appointed have their marching orders to screw over Trumpā€™s ā€œenemies,ā€ and theyā€™re doing their best on their own initiative.

6 Likes

Directly ordering FBI agents is how Trump got into his messes with the FBI in the first place, though?

5 Likes

Yeah, but I suspect the order was on the level of ā€œgo after the people on my ā€˜enemiesā€™ list.ā€ Someone else went ahead and figured out how.

3 Likes

If the Dems could do that and had half the political scheming chops that the GOP has, theyā€™d immediately look into granting Statehood to Puerto Rico before trying to accomplish anything else. Then they would have the time and majority to fix the mess created by the GOP.

3 Likes

Deep down I am with you 100%. I mean, they can be as lawless as they like, safe in the knowledge that if Biden wins there will be no consequences because the Democrat establishment will always play by the ā€œrulesā€.

3 Likes

2 Likes