FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe stepping down effective today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/29/mc-cabe-out-fbi.html

4 Likes

I don’t have a good feel for the implications of this? Does it mean Trump appoints an agreeable director and that softens the independent investigation?

10 Likes

The guy had some integrity. Of course he had to leave.

17 Likes

I’ve been trying to read up on this. I don’t see how this impacts the investigation, but a new appointee does run the risk of being an errand boy for Trump inside the FBI.

We’ve seen how that has panned out in the past.

10 Likes

So is this gaming out as Trump replacing the deputy with someone loyal, then firing Rosenstein so his loyal deputy inherits?

Edit: Nope, two entirely different branches. Next time more coffee before I post.

8 Likes

Nope. I haven’t seen anything that suggests that McCabe today can fire Rosenstein. Although, the scuttlebutt is that Republicans are already hatching a plan (via another magic, secret Memo, woo!) to make him look biased so they can fire him.

5 Likes

Rosennstein is in the Dept of Justice, so a new FBI director does not get to fire him.

5 Likes

A good synopsis of the issue and where we’re at today:

10 Likes

Where is the Deep State when you need them? All these reasonable roadblocks to the dictator are falling at the drop of a hat.

7 Likes

Yeah, really. “Deep State” aka “government of, by and for the people”.

10 Likes

Selling crazy isn’t easy, I don’t blame him one bit.

3 Likes

There is only one real roadblock to dictatorship.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Guns not compulsory.

8 Likes
1 Like

Was he using a non-standard email implementation?

1 Like

I do believe it’s there: Trump’s arrogance has irked the institution as a whole. He’ll have a hard time getting its loyalty, even if he manages to put a compliant arriviste at its head.

2 Likes

9FOGWBm

2 Likes

Apparently he was around to see the demands Trump made of Comey before firing him. But I’m sure that’s a coincidence… Trump definitely saw him as being biased against him - or at least wanted to publicly create that perception, which works in favor (at least in terms of the perceptions of Trump’s followers) of any future obstruction of justice he might want to perpetrate.

2 Likes

Yeah, but it comes across as more obstruction, more meddling in the FBI, where as if he just sat on his ass - something Trumps good at - the guy would be gone in a month anyway.

3 Likes