Trump calls for defunding federal law enforcement after facing charges

Originally published at: Trump calls for defunding federal law enforcement after facing charges | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Consider that the current indictment and most of the pending ones are state base and not federal.

28 Likes

hmmm…
wonder why that is, exactly? :thinking:

21 Likes

Law and Order for everyone but him, perhaps?

18 Likes

Of course!

16 Likes

Which some of his congressional sycophants know, yet have been parroting.

Also no matter his desire, state crimes aren’t pardonable by the President.

10 Likes

I’m surprised he hasn’t reduced this sentiment to a simple catchphrase. Something like… oh, I don’t know, “DEFUND THE POLICE”?

To really highlight the hypocrisy.

23 Likes

So if the House does refuse to budget money for the FBI/DOJ, what happens then? Obviously the Senate won’t agree and will counter with (hopefully) a fully funded budget proposal, but then what? Fillibuster until the House caves in? Yet another Republican government shut-down (which they usually consider a “win”), or does the Executive branch issue more debt via the Treasury and one of those bajillion dollar coins and just ignore them?

3 Likes

22 Likes

So weird that the Republican front runner has more affinity for GRU and former KGB officers than the FBI.

9 Likes

It only makes sense to MAGA and he doesn’t have to explain it to sane and rational people
TrumpDirt

5 Likes

“Weaponized” are they tired of saying “woke” every fucking five minutes?

4 Likes

cardi b GIF by REVOLT TV

14 Likes

:notes: It’s the Republican Way! :notes:

9 Likes

Wilhoit’s Law, always.

10 Likes

If the House were to cut the budget for the FBI in an otherwise passed appropriations bill, the executive couldn’t just issue debt. You can play some games like that with the debt ceiling because of the full faith and credit clause, but budgets explicitly come from the House.

Remember during the voting he literally had one group demanding to “stop the count” and another to “count all the votes” at the same time?

Hypocrisy is the standard.

13 Likes

I saw an interesting analysis of this recently.

Basically all his public ranting has been about federal law enforcement figures and related agencies. This suggests that those are the upcoming indictments he’s worried about.

The Stormy Daniels thing isn’t going to amount to much. The case is weak and the penalty will be a fine at most. However there’s some stuff coming at the federal level that is a lot more serious and he knows it. That’s why he’s ranting so hard at them now.

This is also (according to the analysis I heard) why he announced his candidacy so early. It allows him to play this off as election tampering or dirty tricks to hurt his “campaign”. That goes over well with his base.

10 Likes

One of the articles a friend forwarded to me yesterday mentioned that the New York State indictment is incomplete, that the falsifying business records in itself isn’t a crime, it becomes a crime when it’s used as a method to hide or obscure a different crime. And paying off someone extorting you or otherwise selling you silence for cash isn’t a crime either. So the theory my friend had is that the second crime that was committed IS federal, and that it’ll come out between now and the trial for the NY State charges.

Without that second crime, none of the thirty four indictment charges are going to stay.

7 Likes

He’s the Lawn and Mordor candidate!

11 Likes