Former Trump campaign staffer Alva Johnson sues Trump, says he kissed her without consent before 2016 Florida rally

9 Likes

They’ve been selling us the idea for a long time, perhaps nonintentionally, that misogyny is just a simple harmless character quirk like being left-handed or having curly hair.
12 Likes

Or that it’s OK for people like Donald because he’s essentially a TV character, not a real person. For many of his fans holding Trump accountable for his misogyny feels as strange a concept as holding Homer Simpson accountable for countless acts of petty larceny or holding Ralph Kramden accountable for constantly threatening his wife with beatings.

10 Likes

There’s seldom a good time for a solid head-butt, but this qualifies.

1 Like

And women that aren’t into the whole sisterhood thing.

1 Like

That’s a very good point.
I’d posit further that many of those same folks haven’t had a social price to pay, don’t have any skin in the game, haven’t experienced any disruption to their lives- however you want to put it.
They live in a safe bubble of fear and anger, as it were. Any complaints about life can be laid at anyone else’s feet. Blame ‘others’ and feel that old self confidence come right back.

Well, yeah, that’s my point. I explicitly recognize that it’s not right to apply that kind of litmus test–I’m simply recognizing that it’s emotionally difficult (or at least can be more emotionally difficult) when garbage people like this are involved.

And please let there be no misunderstanding, I am most definitely NOT saying that she “deserved” to be assaulted. She didn’t. She can be a terrible person who allied herself with other terrible people, but that does not mean that she deserved to be assaulted any more than the German woman living on an expropriated estate in Poland in 1944 or a slaveowner during an uprising in Mississippi in 1830.

3 Likes

Supporting what’s right isn’t always easy to do. But we do it anyway.

2 Likes

Not to belabor my original point, but if that message didn’t come through that was exactly what I was getting at. People like this Trump staffer are not sympathetic, but it isn’t right to excuse or wave away sexual assault or harassment on those grounds.

4 Likes

it didn’t, so thanks for clarifying.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.