Former Westboro hate mouthpiece on leaving the church

I agree, doöp. I always find their use of heavy metal umlauts conspicuous.

1 Like

Did you get to the part where, for example, she speaks to groups she formerly hated talking about love and acceptance.

I try not to judge people – it’s pretty pointless – but she seems contrite to me. Not that my opinion of her should mean anything to her.

4 Likes

Bah, I’ll be impressed when they go back to spelling role rôle

(the word actually wasn’t spelled without the circumflex until the mid 20th century, at least judging by the dictionary I have that was my father’s when we was a schoolboy).

Veux-tu dire qu’on ne l’épelle pas comme ça maintenant? :confused:

3 Likes

My head is spinning… that ending. As a Topeka native, born and raised, they were a daily harassment in my childhood. It’s just astounding to read this.

4 Likes

I dunno. She got her sister Grace out as well - maybe ex-cult members need to show current cult members that cults are bad?

So she’s damned if she does, damned if she doesn’t? Some say she needs to counter the negativity and hate, others say fade quietly into the night.

3 Likes

Did you even read the article? She WAS EXACTLY some kid indoctrinated by the church. From day one of her life she was taught these things, and she believed them whole heartedly. Have you ever had to overcome something that was taught to you over and over again since birth? No? Have you ever seen how hard it is to deprogram and ADULT who has joined a cult? She had to do it herself after, as sure as you believe in simple physics like gravity, she was taught to believe everything the WBC told her. She overcame all of that dissonance in her head. And you have shown that you are unable to even imagine how difficult that was. Not “lifting a small car” difficult. Not “curing cancer” difficult. But try to imagine that the ONE thing you think is incontrovertible is suddenly, completely wrong. Do you have the ability to do that? If not then you might rethink telling people how you “don’t accept it”. She finally learned true empathy, to truly understand what it was like for someone outside herself.

9 Likes

I thought it was nicely instructive about what it is like to live in an insane environment, and how difficult it is to leave even when you realise it is insane.

And, it was a nice lesson that you can defeat Crazy with kindness and humanity, rather than anger.

And it also showed why a good effective cult cuts its followers off from the outside world. They should never have let her get on Twitter.

3 Likes

The God of the Westboro Baptists reminds me a lot of Sithrak:

5 Likes

Yet correct.

Would you care to reëvaluate your position?

No, I wouldn’t. If we’re going to use accents to disambiguate pronunciation of the English language it’s going to take more than a few token umlauts.

You réally wanna go down that road? Maybe we should agree to co-operate instead? Hyphens just aren’t as classy as umlauts.

Also, define the term “correct” as it relates to the English language. “Common usage” is the general rule of thumb and thïs ain’t that.

Pedant? Definitely. I’m bored.

1 Like

The height of humanity!

It’s not the ending point but rather the starting point that determines how far you’ve come.

1 Like

I exist on a fine line between compassion and misanthropy. Some days I would look at that sentence and say, “Wow, it must be hard to leave your community behind, good job doing what was right.” and today I looked at it and though, “Wow, congratulations on coming to grips with basic decency after 30 years of your life.” Behind that is a “Woe be unto us that someone coming to grips with basic decency after 30 years of life is something to be applauded!”

3 Likes

Are you referring to the n-dash (“–”) or the m-dash (“—”)?

Can’t decide if you’re trolling me or not.

Don’t be ign’int.

3 Likes

I’m happy to see anyone leaving extremism, even if they came in of their own free choice. Merely choosing not to mock is a really low bar, but coming to the conscious realisation that this was bad in the face of her microculture telling her it was right was a big step and prevented future harm that she would have caused otherwise, regardless of the positive actions she’s also done. I’d celebrate that, although I can see the risk of viewing her as a role model based on an action that didn’t do any positive good.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t see her as a role model so much as a symbol of hope for the tactics employed by David Abitbol and “C.G.”.

If they hadn’t planted the seeds, then maybe the coup wouldn’t have steeled her resolve.

1 Like

Really? (Oglaf, so NSFW)

The WBC do seem to have a lot in common with Sithrak worshippers though.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.