Formula 1 chief Max Moseley, of "Sick Nazi Orgy with 5 hookers" fame, dead at 81

Well, I don’t know if on his side is the way I’d frame it, but the dominatrix who secretly filmed him having sex committed sexual assault. The enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

6 Likes

He also attended the funeral of Roland Ratzenberger rather than that of Ayrton Senna.

Both drivers died in crashes on the same race weekend (Ratzenberger in qualifying on the Saturday, Senna during the race on the Sunday), and their funerals were on consecutive days several thousand miles apart in Austria and Brazil respectively so it was almost impossible for someone to attend both. Senna was much more famous, so the story of his death overshadowed that of Ratzenberger’s.

In Mosley’s words, “Roland had been forgotten. So I went to his funeral because everyone went to Senna’s”

5 Likes

Really? Citations would be helpful. (Beyond the kink-shaming private orgy fancy dress. Because if that’s all there is, then I guess Prince Harry is a neo-Nazii, too.)

The photo of him punching an anti-fascist protestor at one of his father’s fascist rallies kinda speaks for itself. Whether he maintained those beliefs later in life I wouldn’t know.

5 Likes

I assume you refer to the pictures in the linked article from The Sun (sister publication to the News of the World)
(ETA I see you added one of the photos)

It was 1962 and he was 25 years old (old enough to know better, certainly) accompanying his father at a rally. They were attacked (not at all surprisingly). During what seems to have been more of a scuffle than anything else, and perhaps as much to do with self-preservation as any ‘attack’ on anyone, he was arrested for threatening behaviour. He was found not guilty by the magistrate.

I find many aspects of his character and life to be offensively odious, as I have said already. He may in his youth have believed in his father - quite wrongly - perhaps merely because he was his father. Although he was active with his father for a few years, which cannot be denied.

In later life, he is on record as having said his father should have remained in the Labour Party. Max himself has been described as a passionate advocate for personal freedom, which his work for HackedOff and in funding press regulation bodies supports. So I rather doubt that he went to his grave a neo-Nazi, or indeed was really ever one, notwithstanding being under his father’s baleful influence in his youth.

Whether politically he was a right-wing-ish libertarian or not, or whether there were many other reasons to dislike or repudiate him, can be debated. But perhaps your bald statement that he was a neo-Nazi ought not to be taken at face value.

The Guardian’s obit is, as they nearly always are, a balanced review of his life.

4 Likes

I mean, at one point he was at a neo-Nazi rally and whatever his reasons for hitting the protestor, he was on the wrong side. As others have said before, the term for someone who collaborates with nazis is a nazi.

Nonetheless, I’ve edited my initial comment to be more specific and acknowledge his apparent reformation later in life.

I’m genuinely glad he gave up supporting the BUF later in life.

Indeed. I know not everyone cares for the Guardian, and like any major journal of record, they’re not without their problems, but in general I find them an excellent source of information.

9 Likes

It done my heart good, too, it done.

I “won” a non-existent prize, on stumbleupon ±100 years ago, for correctly naming the plural of aviatrix - ‘aviatrices.’

1 Like

A Jewish immigrant friend of mine worked for him for some time in the aftermath of this incident and she went to great lengths to stress his non-fashiness to me.

3 Likes

Or a Hugo Boss design meeting

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.