Fort Worth, Texas has a 9/11-themed bar

Man, just think how much more popular Oklahoma Joe’s would be had they gone with an OKC bombing theme.

2 Likes

“You can find the entrance by entering the alley and going back and to the left.”

4 Likes

“Sandy Hook” Ice cream parlor.

What date does 9/11 fall on this year?

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

When the bar itself becomes a reason to drink…

1 Like

I was going to mention that movie too.

I guess one of the big differences is that Four Lions was a black comedy that didn’t shy away from the horror and gore of terrorism or the government’s less-than-stellar response to it whereas Hogan’s Heroes was more of a zany, lighthearted sitcom that never even mentioned the Nazis’ war crimes or even the existence of the holocaust.

5 Likes

Thinks about how to make sure people never forget. Decides alcohol is the solution.

1 Like

Some people say there’s another bar by that name behind that little hillock, but there’s no evidence for that.

1 Like

I’ll give this guy the benefit of the doubt and assume that he genuinely cares about the events of September 11th but lacks the understanding to realize it’s inappropriate for a restaurant theme. Some of us on this board knew people that died in the World Trade Center that day. Others here saw the attack happen before their eyes. I can’t imagine having an appetite while being surrounded by reminders of that day.

7 Likes

It serves as a dividing line for generations, in the same way that the assassination of Kennedy or the moon landings can. And people that weren’t around don’t really realize how that affected EVERYBODY…

6 Likes

Yeah, that place will be a hard pass for me if I’m ever in that area again.

3 Likes

i wasn’t even around for Kennedy (well, both of them) and the whole thing is still an emotional thing for me to listen to. with the amount of documentation on 9/11, i can’t believe that following generations can’t at least get a sense of how all-pervasive the emotions were afterwards.

4 Likes

7/11 was a part-time job

8 Likes

Nope, sorry, not a place I’ll go to. They win the ‘poor taste’ award.

4 Likes

Well… the kids born after 9/11 are going to be 21 soon enough. Ayee

3 Likes

2 Likes

In all fairness the lighthearted parts of Hogan’s Heroes was entirely intentional choice. A way to ridicule the Nazis post-mortem and strip them of their historical fearsome qualities.

At least 2 of the stars of the show were Holocaust survivors. Robert Cleary (“Le Beau”) lost most of his family to them, Werner Klemperer (“Col Klink”) barely got out of Nazi Germany alive. They knew as much as anyone how bad the Nazis were. They even insisted on the comical take on Nazis in the show.

10 Likes

“By coincidence, September 11, 2001, was also the day Johnson opened his first restaurant, a Tex-Mex joint called Rio Mambo”

I was in college at the time so I guess I should…open a 9/11 themed college? Am I doing it right?

1 Like
3 Likes

I was (and still am traumatized) by what happened, even though I was extremely lucky. I happened to have a dentist appointment that morning and never made it to my office on 60th floor of WTC2. I lost some co-workers and some high school friends.

Even so, I see your point. If you haven’t lived through it, and you’re not one to generally care about history, this will blow right by you. Still, this bar is tacky and insensitive. It could have been done in a better way.

12 Likes