Fort Worth, Texas has a 9/11-themed bar

Originally published at: Fort Worth, Texas has a 9/11-themed bar | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Come On Reaction GIF

27 Likes

and, er, the proprietor’s experience of the news while he was busy opening his very first restaurant.

This rabbi’s brother-in-law in this Curb clip has more connection to what happened on 9/11 than this nitwit bar owner.

“I don’t want anyone who comes into my restaurant to forget that day,”

Trust me, if I’m ever in Fort Worth I don’t need a bloody theme bar to help me remember what I saw from 14th St. that day. Even as far as a mile and a half away and being spared the worst of it, that kind of thing still really etches itself into your head.

30 Likes

Tragedy + Time + Texas = Farce

24 Likes

barf

21 Likes

According to someone on Twitter there are now two locations. There is nothing but good taste preventing this from becoming a nationwide chain, one in every strip mall between Subway and McDonald’s.

18 Likes

Never Forget GIF by GIPHY News

10 Likes

By any chance does he have any copies of the videos of the dancers celebrating the attack?

4 Likes

Terrorism makes me thirsty?

Pass.

9 Likes

Also coming soon:

• Pearl Harbor, a Topeka oyster bar
  • OKCity, a Denver brewpub
  • Pol Potstickers, an Orange County pan-asian fusion place
  • Shoah, a Muskegan breakfast joint
23 Likes

15 Likes

Hogan’s Heroes came out in 1965, and was popular enough to run for six seasons. For those of us who remember watching the show as kids, it was just another funny TV show, with clever good guys always outwitting the bad guys and their stooges. But that was also only twenty years after the largest, deadliest, most tragic war the planet had ever seen.

So I never knew how 40-year-olds who fought in WW2 felt about the program. Today, I am quite sure I wouldn’t be laughing at the bumbling ineptitude of a cast of zany Taliban clowns, or the mostly creepy and menacing Al Quaeda villains.

11 Likes

Well the Taliban and Al Queda tended not to keep their prisoners around for very long. No time for zany antics when you’re being mock-executed twice per day up until your real execution.

The USA’s prisoners have had plenty of time mind. Twenty years confined with no trial, and counting!

5 Likes

Unpopular opinion:

First, I don’t think this is needed. At least not yet.

But I can kind of almost see why he thinks that something like this is needed. One way to get young adults to get into a museum is to serve drinks. The dude who owns this is a bar owner, not a museum owner. I can kind of see this as his way of trying to make sure that this doesn’t get forgotten. If this is a hip bar for the 21-30 crowd… a 30 year old would have been 9 when this happened. It might be a good way to get 20-30 year olds to understand why the people over 30 feel the way they do about this. Sadly, we asked a lot of those kids to fight and die over this, but they didn’t live through it.

And I can almost see why he weaves his own experiences into the timeline. His experiences aren’t important to the plot, they aren’t critical to understanding what happened on 9/11… but in a way, they are. It affected a lot of people far away from New York and Washington DC (and that field in PA) a lot more than a lot of people think. Most people who are older than their mid-30’s have a story about what they were doing on 9/11. The vast majority are, in and of themselves, meaningless and unimportant to the story of what happened. (Such as his.) But collectively, they are important; because it explains why 9/11 had such a big effect on our history; it explains why we freaked out as a nation about it; it explains why we went to war and killed hundreds of thousands of people over it. His story doesn’t really mean anything. But understanding that everyone who lived through it as an adult has a story like it… that is more important.

I hope he also worked with some families and some people who survived 9/11 who were more impacted to also weave in some of their stories into the timeline. But that is such a personal thing; he doesn’t have the right to do that without them offering.

4 Likes

Never forget… our 2 for 1 Tower Special!

3 Likes

Curious, does Dallas have a “JFK Assassination” bar?

Suggested name: “The Dallas Booze Depository.”

8 Likes

Several of the actors on the show were victims of or refugees from the Nazi regime. Others had served in the Allied military during the war. As I recall, they insisted that the writers always portray the German characters as ridiculous and never let them win. In response to questions like yours, they felt that mocking the Nazis without downplaying their brutality was an appropriate way to address fascists.

The cast understood that right-wing authoritarians can handle being hated but cannot countenance being laughed at.

19 Likes

Today, I am quite sure I wouldn’t be laughing at the bumbling ineptitude of a cast of zany Taliban clowns, or the mostly creepy and menacing Al Quaeda villains.

That pretty much describes Four Lions, I think

9 Likes

Happy Hour at the Holocaust Museum.

Come on people, we drink to forget not to remember.

2 Likes

A restaurant named 11/22/63 across the road from the Texas School Book Depository?

1 Like