Found: Teenage Civil War reenactor's missing rooster lost at Cracker Barrel

Originally published at: Found: Teenage Civil War reenactor's missing rooster lost at Cracker Barrel | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Breaking News: Cracker Barrel had chicken NOT smothered in gravy.

Reports say it was a one-time event.

17 Likes

missing rooster lost at Cracker Barrel

I clutched my pearls when I read the headline…

14 Likes

In support of Thomas Ramsey, I must say, that is the best looking civil war reenactment rooster I have ever seen.

16 Likes

At first I thought the headline was “missing roster”, instead of “missing rooster”. And I thought, “what’s the big deal about losing a roster?”. Welp, now I know better.

8 Likes

You know, this is exactly why Union soldiers fought to preserve democracy. If the CSA had won, there never would have even been a Cracker Barrel in Mississippi!

2 Likes

Man, I’ve been to Cullman, and if I’d know there was a Cracker Barrel, it would have been a step up!

(I’m also amused that this article includes the states of Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi, like a trifecta of rooster story goodness.)

4 Likes

Glad to hear the rooster was found. I was afraid he’d become a Lost Cause.

15 Likes

Hey now, there is even a Logan’s Roadhouse at the same interstate exit. Fine dining indeed. /s

Although to be fair, there are some independent restaurants in the downtown area that aren’t chain food troughs. Cullman is a weird place, even by Alabama standards. It’s a small city/large town with a thriving downtown, which is rare in this part of the state, but it is notorious for still being super racist.

3 Likes

I’ve only been twice, years ago, but didn’t have time to check out much of downtown itself. Did have some decent barbeque from a Mom and Pop place. And went to the utterly groovy grotto at Ave Marie. THAT was super neat.

2 Likes

If they were at Cracker Barrel, it stands to reason they were playing the Traitor side.

Obligatory Key & Peele:

6 Likes

Serious question: does anyone play on the Union side?

2 Likes

They do!

The 2020 Annual Battle of Natural Bridge Reenactment in north Florida included the U.S. Colored Troops Reenactment Unit, sponsored by the John Gilmore Riley Center & Museum for African American History & Culture, Inc. And the ceremonies featured a recitation of the Oration of Frederick Douglass!

Don’t get me wrong, it was still crackertown, lots of fake smiles and whispered asides, and that guy selling crude scrimshaw PVC ranting (soto voce) about "destroying history’, and the period-accurate campground had a real “don’t let the sun set on you here” feel, but progress is progress, right?

Racial tensions aside, the battlefield medicine demo is always a hoot, lots of practical gags – blood spurting, limbs detaching, hacksaws sawing – fun for the whole family!

4 Likes

If AL is anything like GA lately in the more rural parts of the state, many downtown areas are having renaissances to try and attract local tourism (historic buildings, locally own restaurants, events on the square, homey B&Bs, spas, wine tasting from a local vineyard, etc). Many places in GA are also doing that with film tourism, but even in places that haven’t had films, downtown areas are making a comeback.

Of course. Not everyone who is a reenactor does so because they are keen to relive the confederacy. Some are interested in history itself.

1 Like

I did some reenacting during my profoundly geeky college days. Mostly it stemmed from SCA friends who convinced me to expand from sabre-fencing and ren faires to a different type of historical play acting. Most of my friends were union, since we were mostly from PA. The ones who played confederates definitely didn’t do so out of lost cause idiocy (or at least not openly). A Cherokee friend dressed for the south because of his family’s history doing so.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.