Four cops handcuff black man for "illegal eating"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/11/four-cops-handcuff-black-man-f.html

8 Likes

I’m eating a sandwich right now, illegally.

45 Likes

Cueing Karen and Becky to start reporting all non-white eaters on Bart platforms and trains. /s

21 Likes

You’re under arrest for using mayo on corned beef!

21 Likes

ACAB­

21 Likes

See, it would all be cool if he wrote him a warning and sent him on his way with some mustard.

10 Likes

This is insane.

19 Likes

Some weird, conflicting statements from the officers:

“There was a report of somebody matching your description,” Vallejo answered, before taking Gluckman to a locked detention room behind the station.

And in the next paragraph

When the person filming interviews McCormick, the officer said, “I was called here for a woman who was possibly intoxicated. That’s what I was looking for on the platform… I didn’t find anybody who was drunk. (But Gluckman) was directly in front of me.”

33 Likes
63 Likes

You’d think by now, if nothing else, police departments would educate their officers on how bad this looks once it hits social media. I mean, I know that’s not what we’re actually worried about but that awareness would prevent a lot of these sillier ones.

31 Likes

Although that’s actually funny, the existence of other knoshers in plain view should have negated even just an annoying warning.

10 Likes

Nextdoor TOP POST: Man eating sandwich at bus stop BOLO!!

5 Likes

I love this one comment from the linked report:

“I’ve got my lunch here, it’s very threatening as you can see,” said JJ Naughton from San Francisco.

18 Likes

I can understand if there is a rule “no food on the platform”.

Obviously the cops’ response is ludicrous.

2 Likes

Street execution! Ketchup on a hot dog!

ps, yes these jokes are getting worse. Flag if it offends and I’ll delete.

7 Likes

Many of these stations sell food and drink. So how and why this is illegal is very questionable.

Myself I have bought a sandwich and a beer and taken the Bart to south SF a number of times. Nobody cares, and no signs are posted. Just like every other commuter train I have been on.

29 Likes

Is it crazy to write a ticket for this? Maybe not that crazy, the system rules are no eating within the paid-fare area, not just on the trains themselves.

Crazy to use handcuffs or call for 4 backup officers here? Absolutely.

Also crazy to single out one person on the platform among many. Write everyone a ticket or nobody at all.

And really the best of all possible worlds would be one where USians by and large don’t make messes if they eat in public places, and there’s no impetus to instate draconian rules like this. (That’s why the rules exist, station & train cleanliness tends to suffer in the absence. Humane transit systems shrug about this and allow eating regardless.)

8 Likes

Yeah I have no idea what the actual rules are there. Merely stating even if there is one “no food in XYZ spot” could be reasonable but the reaction is NOT in any way reasonable at all.

As a coach our indoor turf fields always have “no food in turf fields” signs. No one is getting arrested for having a power bar.

7 Likes

Yeah, but the cop showed such relish.

11 Likes

This breaks my brain. Did the cop try to turn a “please do not eat” request into an “unter penalty of law you may not eat” situation? Or was this a case of one cop attempting to show his buddies just how he could arrest anybody for any bullshit reason?

There is no excuse, no matter how you slice it.

15 Likes