Four cops handcuff black man for "illegal eating"

Truly nefarious, how dare you sir?

2 Likes

Really? Interesting. Who pays for them?

1 Like

You need to visit Brazil and see how we do hot dogs.
These are considered pretty basic here:

10 Likes

The crunchy fries are also a common topping on Venezuelan burgers and fries, I love them and I’m sad it’s not a thing in the US. Thankfully they’re easy to make so my mom makes some occasionally

6 Likes

there was clearly a tiny gun hidden in that last bite of sandwich.

2 Likes

Is it ketchup, or spicy ketchup like Sriracha?

that’s not what i want at all. it really isn’t

citation needed.

what i see are are poorly trained mostly white men playing at being cops who are playing at being soldiers.

plus well documented pervasive abuses of power like college cops not reporting crimes ( esp rape ) because they don’t want to make the college look dangerous.

it’s a terrible idea that only serves the private institution’s interests, not the public’s

15 Likes

Probably just ketchup, Sriracha is not common in Brazil (it was the first time I heard about it).
It is not uncommon to have some random spicy sauces made by the vendors, but they usually are offered separately as spicy food is not the default here.

1 Like

I wiped my mouth on my sleeve too.

6 Likes

You dirty, dirty, naughty sandwich eater.

3 Likes

It’s just the tip of the iceberg.

5 Likes

Funding for the BART police is part of BART’s budget, which is funded by a mix of fares, a dedicated sales tax, and various other sources (Wikipedia has an overview).

BART itself is a public agency, specifically a “special district”. Their website is even hosted at a .gov domain (bart.gov).

4 Likes

And the other is a component of endemic violence against queer people which has been going on for years and refuses to change.

But hey, once someone gets abused by a cop you can’t criticise them because doing so obviously implies that you believe the cop was Just and Right. /s

(No, I’m not saying the two things are Exactly Equivalent, but saying “one of these things is a component of a socially endemic violence problem” – implying the other isn’t – is wayyy the fuck off base.)

1 Like

Don’t have time to skim replies.

1. Is it really illegal to eat in that area, and if so why? That seems really stupid. I get that it can make a mess, but come one, people are rushing to work and shit. And evidently they sell food nearby.

2. Fucking ridiculous to enforce it. I guess if there was a big push to stop people eating they could do an awareness thing where they tell people to stop. Maybe block them from entering the platform area, etc. But arresting someone? Give me a fucking break. Even if you wanted to get hard ass, that’s a ticket at best.

3. Nice fucking situational awareness on the cop. He’s being filmed and yet continues with this petty exercise. At least he is polite and not throwing anyone on the ground (the standards are that low), but polite harassment is still harassment.

1 Like

he should have taken a subway

also, these types of rules aren’t arrestable laws, at best they’d be bylaws and fines or tickets. agreed that clearly this was not an appropriate response for eating a sandwich.

the how is very questionable agreed, the why is pretty obvs. not white enough :frowning_face: grrr to that bad apple.

:heart: :clap:

4 Likes

Thanks. Ok, so a public agency, so not quite privatised.

Mall cops? Are they the same? (Brit here, so no real idea, but I still concur with @fnordius - it breaks my brain that so many institutions have their own dedicated cop squads.)

1 Like

Well, at least they didn’t kill him for his transgression. Small steps…

Believe it or not, these usually are actual state laws in California. It’s always seemed insane to me. If you get on a bus or train operated by MUNI (the local transit agency in San Francisco) you’ll find the inside plastered in signs telling you not to eat food, ride the bus without a valid ticket, or assault the operator, each with a citation to the relevant state law. (OK, I guess that last example is actually reasonable…)

1 Like

I have wanted to visit Brazil for years, but after seeing your hot dogs, I know now that I must visit immediately.

4 Likes

Yeah, not an arrestable offence right? (or am i misreading that)
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=640

1 Like