Four L.A. Sheriff's deputies killing themselves hours apart just a coincidence, says department

Originally published at: Four L.A. Sheriff's deputies killing themselves hours apart just a coincidence, says department | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I wonder how this will affect their scorecard?

4 Likes

The LASD is so riddled with corruption and institutionalised violence that I can see this as either four deputies seeing the walls closing in or their being eliminated by others. As I’ve said before, the whole department needed to be figuratively burned to the ground and rebuilt from the ground up on an entirely new law enforcement model.

23 Likes

Blue on Blue, I guess. :thinking:

11 Likes

According to the NIH, police officers have about a 50% higher suicide rate than civilians, with an annual rate of something like 18/100,000. The LASD had about 10,000 officers, so if they were typical of other law enforcement agencies you would expect them to have somewhere in the ballpark of 2 suicides per year on average. Having 4 in one day sure looks like one hell of an outlier, if nothing else.

19 Likes

Yeah, it could be just a really odd coincidence. Though, if they worked with each other on something, like, maybe make sure something they were doing wasn’t this close to being found out about?

8 Likes

Yeah, one of the two really does seem like the most likely explanation - the alternative is an incredibly unlikely statistical fluke, in both the number and timing.

Also possibly literally.

8 Likes

Police corruption would want all of their dead, good and bad, to be remembered as heroes. “Perfect Blue” should be the new catch-phrase meme for a dead bad cop heralded as a hero.

2 Likes

C’mon, LA, I want to see realistic props coincidentally killing themselves hours apart, not LASD deputies, gang members, or those pining at the 1/4 mark of National Native American Heritage Month.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.