LA taxpayers paid out $55 million in lawsuits against cops in violent secret societies

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/05/la-taxpayers-paid-out-55-mill.html

9 Likes

“This has been a cancer of the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department for decades,” said Ron Kaye

From what I’ve read about the department over the years, that’s far from hyperbole. Lee Baca is the most prominent example of the cancer, but his second in command always stood out as a true horror show:

10 Likes

A Japanese white supremacist?! And you missed the good part… He’s doing a federal 5 year minimum security stretch in Colorado.

Yeah, he got caught and Baca walked. Correction… No he didn’t Three years federal time in Texas starting this past February. Oh the humanity. Oh the COVID.

Again, HOW did these people GET INTO these positions?!

8 Likes

Remember citizens, just keep repeating to yourself: It’s just an entire society of bad apples… It’s just an entire society of bad apples…

10 Likes

The unfortunately recently cancelled TV show Deputy had started to highlight the LA Sherriff’s Dept. police gangs issue near the end of the season. It would have been an interesting fact-based fictional expose had it been renewed for next year.

2 Likes

They did everything they possibly could have.

/s

5 Likes

By being white supremacists. How is that not obvious? Eagerness to enforce white supremacy is real high on their qualifications of why they were put in their positions. It is also why this perpetuates generation after generation. These are the people put in charge to “maintain order” (i.e. make sure that there is no change to the social or economic power structure)

9 Likes

Someone should do a movie about police corruption in L.A.

I’m thinking call it something like . . . “L.A. Confidential.”

7 Likes

the expression is:

one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.”

1 Like

I am personally surprised it’s only $55 million.

For longer than my lifetime, LA has boasted some of the leading assholes in law enforcement, on par with Arpaio.
Don’t forget Daryl Gates, who brought us all SWAT and fucking DARE while overseeing violent, racist policing. His tenure ended around the time we all met Rodney King.
Some of his outstanding takes:
–Casual drug users “ought to be taken out and shot” because “we’re in a war” and even casual drug use is “treason”
–In 1982, Gates attributed several deaths of black people held in choke holds to the theory that "blacks might be more likely to die from chokeholds because their arteries do not open as fast as they do in ‘normal people’

2 Likes

so what do you do when the whole bunch is spoiled except for a few good eggs?

3 Likes

Abolish the whole barrel and start over, clearly.

5 Likes

Lol. Try more like 1890

2 Likes

Reminds me of this bit from The Onion Presents: Our Dumb Century

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.