Former LA Sheriff Villaneuva says sheriff gangs are simply subgroups

Originally published at: Former LA Sheriff says sheriff gangs are simply "subgroups"

4 Likes

I believe that this is the former sheriff someone here in the comments recently described as “very good”.

5 Likes

All Cops Are Subgroups, eh?

10 Likes

Oh there are a lot of cop subgroups

Assholes
Bastards
Small Man Syndrome Overcompensators
Pricks
Occasionally one that does a good thing

7 Likes

I think they are called probationers or rookies.

6 Likes

“Tattoos from a subgroup are a point in time of a given place.”

Sounds like a saying a number of defense attorneys are going to quote in plenty of court cases.

7 Likes

As they carry a gun and badge when ”off duty’", their conduct off duty matters. Having enough interest in racism or “unofficial” (extralegal) policing to get that identity etched in their skin is a literal sign they should never have been a cop in the first place. (And none of this would be ok if they left their gun and badge in their desk when they went home at night.)

10 Likes

And we should listen to this jerk because…???

5 Likes

Don’t most of them try to be doms?

1 Like

No, it’s the “forme sheriff”

Screen Shot 2024-01-16 at 18.14.04

No, wait, as you were.

There’s a glitch in the Matrix Discourse.

3 Likes

I think that requires a degree of self discipline.

5 Likes

Are you sure it wasn’t the sheriff from a town in Somerset?

9 Likes

I was going to say it sounds like something chatgpt would secrete.

4 Likes

Oh, I don’t know there, Villaneuva: as soon as there’s a “subgroup” (of teachers or librarians or some such) that sponsors GSA clubs or books that feature parents of the same gender it seems pretty usual for cops to do their best to help stamp it out.

4 Likes

Yep.

2 Likes

“Tattoos from a subgroup are a point in time of a given place.”

I’m sorry, but what does that even mean?

3 Likes

These “subgroups” really seem to fit the definition of a criminal street gang under California Penal Code section 186.22(f):

As used in this chapter, “criminal street gang” means an ongoing, organized association or group of three or more persons, whether formal or informal, having as one of its primary activities the commission of one or more of the criminal acts enumerated in subdivision (e), having a common name or common identifying sign or symbol, and whose members collectively engage in, or have engaged in, a pattern of criminal gang activity.

I’m sure many of the deputies involved in these “subgroups” have testified as expert witnesses in criminal trials and have testified that common tattoos are an indicia of gang existence and membership.

5 Likes

“… a gang is them what does gang things” :thinking:

3 Likes

Villanueva is a hard guy to defend, but in his defense, the stuff about firing people for having certain tattoos was a court decision, not a sheriff or county decision:

https://archive.ph/UJVyQ

The LASD can try to put the blame on the courts, but “hard to defend” is putting it mildly when it comes to this guy. From the article:

Before he was ousted from office last year, then-Sheriff Alex Villanueva repeatedly denied the existence of such groups and blocked the inspector general’s investigative efforts.

At least the court acknowledged that the gangs existed. Villanueva still won’t.

6 Likes