Judge blocks investigation into Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's notorious deputy gangs

Originally published at: Judge blocks investigation into Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's notorious deputy gangs | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I would assume that the “Executioners” are these gentlemen:

Potential recruits are chosen based on past acts of violence against members of the Compton community and recruits cannot be Black or female.

15 Likes

So basically Brownshirts with badges

16 Likes

It blows my mind that we might allow a contract between two parties (the city and the police union) to dictate whether a law imposed the state can be followed. IANAL and all that, but it seems like any contract item that prevents the due enforcement of a state law should be considered void.

23 Likes

I’ve pretty much given up any hope that this cesspool can be cleaned up and reformed. The only solution is burning it to the ground and sowing the field with salt.

14 Likes

That is my understanding, that any term of a contract that violates the law is unenforceable. IANAL, but that’s the same thing as trying to use an NDA to prohibit the witness of a crime from reporting the crime or testifying. When it comes to illegal behavior, contracts are not binding.

What may allow this to squeak through is that, while the behavior the DA is seeking to compel is supported by the law, the judge may be saying that, hey, there’s a term in the contract that says the county has to at least ask first, then attempt arbitration, prior to compelling the behavior in court. That still seems wrong but I could see that interpretation. If so, this ruling isn’t stopping the prosecution forever, it’s just saying they have to try other venues first before bringing it to the court.

11 Likes

You’d be hard-pressed to find a police department anywhere in this country that doesn’t have a gang mentality:
If you aren’t one of Us, then you are the Enemy.

These are little more than death-squads-in-waiting.

Oh, that’s easy, what with wood-chippers and all… just call 'em in for a special meeting with the chief.
Now, if he wants to do it legally… well, good luck with that.

Gonna need the Feds to RICO the bastards; too bad the Party Of Law and Order doesn’t really mean it.

This country has been brainwashed by decades of Copaganda movies and t.v. shows.
Too many cops believe their own bullshit, as well.

12 Likes

863271a4-94d0-4da7-a23f-f5d17ca036d4_text

8 Likes

… making the whole labor movement look good /s

10 Likes

… of course, nobody can force the county to sign “contracts” like that

It could just stop — all of this can just stop, anytime people stop acting like T.I.N.A.

10 Likes

The only union that needs to be busted. Just like “The Only Dangerous Minority is The Rich.”

They goes hand in hand as their existence is dependent on each other. One can’t exist without the other.

7 Likes

well, they are the cops.

“Mayor DeBlasio, the members of the NYPD are declaring war on you,” read a tweet from the Sergeants Benevolent Association

eta: and even without direct attacks, they can do work stoppage; tanking hopes of re-election when things like 911 calls start to go unanswered

6 Likes

… in any other industry there would be a lockout and no paychecks for anybody until the troublemakers were purged — this is not how labor relations work in any other business

8 Likes

Weirdly, police not showing up to 911 calls just might save some lives in LA County given the name of at least one of these internal gangs. :disappointed:

11 Likes

yeah. the trick being, it’s not labor. it’s a force.

( and it’s why “union” is the incorrect word for their organization. “fraternity” like rob suggests might be closer )

9 Likes

Compare and contrast with how the railworkers strike threat was handled.

7 Likes

… the Italian sindicato is closer :thinking:

5 Likes

Lots of people are unaware of the Prison Industrial Complex, and are also unaware that slavery still exists in this country and is legal.

Doing away with private prisons and the companies that run them would be a good start.

4 Likes

Why haven’t the Feds stepped in? Not a rhetorical question. I’d think the corrupts police unions would have less pull.

3 Likes

Oakland already knows that calling 911 is detrimental:

3 Likes