Fox News and neo-Nazi site call racist massacre an attack on Christianity

Happy Juneteenth!

After 150 years, I think the South needs to accept that the only Confederate flag of any consequence is of the all white* variety waved by an army that has had enough.

The rest should be taken down and turned in for a fittingly dignified means of disposal, perhaps involving a shredder and a port-a-potty.

*Yeah, ironic.

8 Likes

Right. Jesus has a posse, and the Holy Ghost is strapped.

The embedded video link seems to be broken.

I think this is going to be a ā€œcome to Jesusā€ moment (as it were) for modern conservatives. At least some of them. And I used the word ā€œmodernā€ loosely.
They were really quick in a lot of instances to push aside the racism and jump on something like religion.
It doesnā€™t take too long to connect the dots that this is a craven attempt to appeal to filthy racist pigs.
Most Americans are not filthy racist pigs, and some of those folks do vote republican (for whatever reason) and when they see certain leaders trying to turn this away from what it isā€¦ Itā€™s going to alienate people.
Maybe not a lot in SC, they still fly the fucking Confederate flag for crissakesā€¦ Dumbfucks.

2 Likes

Can you imagine the 24/7 all-hands hyperventilating-host coverage that Fox News would give to a story involving the congregation of a traditionally black church arming themselves?

If that actually happened, if a black minister handed out perfectly-legal AR-15s to his flock and told them it was their grave duty and right to defend themselves, the right wing media would f***ing lose it.

15 Likes

#WeWillShootBack
Edit: (See Twitter)

It could, it might, I hope, mean that conservatives of good conscience might realize that the decades-old ā€œSouthern Strategyā€ might not have been a good idea, and the great-grandsons of the Confederacy will be shoved back to the margins.

Whether what remains of the GOP after you shove out the bigots and fundamentalists could win elections . . . I kind of doubt it. Theyā€™ve ridden that horse far too long.

1 Like

'Splodyhead Epidemic! The all-natural cure for gerrymandering!

Michelleā€™s face on the 10?
Thatā€™s not popcorn in the next town overā€¦

Apparently some uses of gun registration was to keep guns from blacks.

1 Like

Finally some good news.

6 Likes

I find it shocking that there is even a horse to ride on in 2015ā€¦ OK, Iā€™m a member of the Left Coast Elite and support Sanders for prez, but stillā€¦

Hereā€™s a little bit of trivia I just heard today -

ā€œOn this day in 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was approved by the U.S. Senate, 73-27, after surviving a lengthy filibuster.ā€

Not that long ago, in the big pictureā€¦

3 Likes

Jesus and his disciples always walked single-file to hide their numbersā€¦

9 Likes

And magical thinking as well, as if concealed carry being legal would have done anything at all, by itself. It doesnā€™t mean anyone in the room would have brought a gun, would have had it in a location where it would have been accessible in the middle of the violence, would have used it, or anything. Itā€™s just an opportunity for this asshole to trot out his hobby horse.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Apparently, even assholes on Stormfront want to disavow him. Assholes.

4 Likes

It is perfectly reasonable for black folks to arm themselves. This society has put them under attack and they have a right to defend themselves. (If I was black, I would be concerned about arming myself because it apparently gives the cops even more leeway in unjust shootings, even if the victim is unconscious - see Demouria Hogg.)

But the whole ā€œIf a good guy with a gun had been thereā€¦ā€ argument is quite weak. Look at the mass-murders that have taken place on MILITARY BASES. The element of surprise is a very substantial tactical advantageā€¦

8 Likes

You might be very surprised to learn how tightly controlled weapons are on a military base. They put them all in the armory so bad guys donā€™t get a hold of them and take over the US. But your average soldier doesnā€™t walk around armed everywhere, the US military wants them to be safe and even they recognize that giving everyone guns all the time is not the best way to do that.

9 Likes

Except in this case, we double-down on the white supremacy idea because the guy was a white supremacist. It was not any sort of hand-waving or conjecture. It was the facts on the ground.

Given the state of race relations in America right now, wrong as it might be to jump to conclusions, can you understand why people might do that and get pissed off just a bit when you wave it away - even if you had been fully correct, and this guy wasnā€™t even a racist? The comments Jon Stewart made are on point regarding this.

We keep getting reminded that we live in a racist society, and we continue to do little about it. Thatā€™s why many people are angry, tired, mad, and frustrated, and likely to jump to conclusions like ā€œthe guy is a terrorist white supremacistā€ when he shows up in pictures (prior to shooting 9 people because of the color of their skin, his own words) that celebrate three white supremacist societies. Couple that with the fact that some American cops seem unable to treat black people like the citizens they areā€¦ What do you honestly expect?

So, if you think that some of us are like Fox news for pointing out how this guy is not in anyway a weird deviation in race relations in America, then so be it. But heā€™s not a deviation. Heā€™s kind of a logical outcome of race relations in America. Couple young white, alienated men, who probably canā€™t get jobs, throw in access to racist literature/culture that places the blame squarely in the wrong place, add splash of Fox news/right wing radio, and you absolutely get this guy.

9 Likes

Even before they caught the guy, they found pictures of him on Facebook wearing a jacket with Rhodesian and Apartheid-era South African flag patches. Thatā€™s a pretty clear message, right out of the gate. Fox is showing its ass more than usual.

3 Likes

ā€œThey also expressed worries that if the shooting did turn out to be an act of racism, the white nationalist movement would suffer.ā€

Yeah, canā€™t afford a hit to the high regard we all hold for klansmen and nazis.

9 Likes