Fox News invents a fake Trans Joker controversy to have a melt down over

Originally published at: Fox News invents a fake Trans Joker controversy to have a melt down over | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Following close on heels of the M&M “controversy”, this makes me think that at the moment Rupert is running low on material with which to outrage and scare all those old people.

29 Likes

Why can’t comic books stick with classical western themes? /s

eta: Quick! Someone tell Fox that Zeus is Woke!

21 Likes

With the GOP taking control of the house of reps, the Pelosi/congress scare mongering they normally do no longer pushes the agenda. That leaves many empty hours to fill

15 Likes

… of course, this phrase can mean anything

It could mean publicly identifying as <marginalized group> on the street where children might hypothetically see us

It’s the standard fascist trial balloon, where they see who they can push into the closet this week

24 Likes

Outrage is their bread and butter.

How much ya wanna bet they have several employees dedicated to looking for anything that can be willfully misinterpreted to fit their angry narrative?

15 Likes

I always wonder about this with talk shows. Some poor sucker has to watch endless hours of Fox News to come up with bits for Colbert et al. And I’m sure that 90% of the segments they flag don’t even get jokes written for them. I could not do that.

9 Likes

IIRC, they have a service that records clips and sorts/filters on keywords from the closed captioning.

7 Likes

Even if this was a depiction of the Joker as a trans person then wouldn’t it be depicting LGBTQ people in a negative light since Joker is a villain?

I don’t recall anyone accusing the James Bond franchise of going woke when a mincing Blofeld sent a pair of gay henchmen to take out 007.

14 Likes

Libsoftiktok has entered the chat!

3 Likes

Have those people ever read any Silver Age Joker comics?

hngyq8eplgg01

And then there was that time the Joker tricked people in Gotham into tanning their balls. Oh wait, that was the Swan.

26 Likes

I’d point out that there are several trans characters in the DC Universe, but they’re well portrayed and not really good for creating controversy. “Yes, this is a character that exists … and … well, they exist.”

12 Likes

Similarly there is a gay couple among the villains in Mad Max 2. It must have been meant to disgust the audience at the time—and the antagonists are horrible people for other reasons—but today their relationship humanizes them on the screen :thinking:

10 Likes

18 Likes

Boy oh boy, they are really reaching. Just when I think they’ve hit rock bottom, it turns out, yet again, that there is no bottom. (except maybe Tucker Carlson)

Even Tucker Carlson is getting fed up with this shit, and that man is a moral toilet.

How about a whole comic book about the child of Hermes and Aphrodite, who was named Hermaphrodit-… er, uh, never mind.

12 Likes

The folks at Fox News still haven’t figured out that the mass-murdering psychopath is the bad guy. They kind of idolize him.

8 Likes

Alysia was actually the first one to come to mind, although there have been others. (Wanda in Sandman: A Game of You, for instance, although she died so perhaps they’d approve of that.)

4 Likes

Don’t forget good ol’ Tiersias!

1 Like

I’m surprised they never latched on to the fact that the Joker is a man wearing makeup.

1 Like

I don’t think Cucker Tarlson has got what it takes to be a bottom, certainly not the power-bottom he thinks he is. How could anybody even try to top that ass? any perceived puns are purely unintentional s/

Even Tucker Carlson is getting fed up with this shit, and that man is a moral toilet
So that explains why his cheeks are always so flushed?!

edited to add even more cheap shots

1 Like