Fox News shocked to discover weird new mobile phones got cameras in 'em

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/04/iphones-are-bodycams-fox-news.html

7 Likes

Well, considering their audience…

28 Likes

28 Likes

But they still won’t admit that Freedom Sticks can be turned into Murder Machines by simply pointing them at police.

42 Likes

i was at the office of one of my doctors this afternoon. fox news was playing in the waiting room and some shouty asshole started spewing out a torrent of lies and misrepresentations about the ford and kavanaugh hearing. i went to the receptionist and asked “can you please turn that t.v. off?”

“off?”

“yes, off. if i have to listen to that lying sack of shit one more minute my head is going to explode and you’re going to have to call an ambulance.”

she was startled but compliant, thank goodness.

edited to add that this was today.

65 Likes

The US culture wars have lost their power to surprise me. Every time I saw something monumentally stupid like this I used to think “this can’t get worse” but I was wrong every time. Now I fear I’ve defaulted to just expecting the worst, a depressing reality.

Even though I’m Dutch and this (for now at least) barely affects me I can’t help but wonder if this kind of stupidity will soon arrive here. Most american culture eventually does…

32 Likes

Why even have a tv? (In any waiting room: same goes for tire stores etc.) Like they’re doing us a big favor: “lucky for us they have a TEE-VEE!”

17 Likes

the worst thing about it is that every one of those televisions is hardwired to play fox news. i live in texas, need i say more?

23 Likes

Check your voter registration.

I’d wager it’s a bigger purge than it initially looks.

27 Likes

i’m not terribly concerned, i voted in the primary and the runoff this year, they no longer stamp the registration cards with your party affiliation even in the primaries, and i’m a middle-aged, white male. as such i’m practically invisible to the purgers.

15 Likes

I’ve had a similar experience on a forum for an indie game studio the other day. There’s this thread for when you need to vent about random shit and someone mentioned the recent hearings. I replied something along the lines of “everyone over there has been reduced to tribalism”. The next day there’s two (I assume US) posters who’ve added a whole page of right wing ranting. It’s fucking everywhere.

15 Likes

If that was a problem around here, I’d stick a TV-B-Gone in a Sonic Screwdriver case.

23 Likes

Awesome!!!

2 Likes

Random thought: Does anybody know whose sats are beaming FoxNews?

3 Likes

Hatred is a contagion, a sickness of the soul* that can become pandemic.

*If one believes in such things.

17 Likes

I didn’t watch it, but I’m assuming they’re against this, and blame Apple?

1 Like

It’s not the camera that’s the surprise.
It’s that some people would dare to record the police.

My guess is there will be a follow-up story with clear evidence of police corruption / violence / whatever, but the real story won’t be about police misconduct: it will be that someone recorded it.

And what a sick and sorry world we live in, that some evil, heartless cruel people would record, y’know, just regular cops, trying to do their jobs, and y’know… everyone’s human. Everyone makes mistakes. Sure the police are violent, you’d be too if you had every debased, disturbed criminal in the world trying to record you all day, catch you off guard.

Follow up – police unions demand some kind of technology to brick iphone cameras.

16 Likes

Yep. Because Blue Lives blah blah blah…

5 Likes
8 Likes

“Can you please turn that t.v. off?”
“Off?”
“Yes, off.”
“They… You can turn them off?”

36 Likes