Fox reporter says a good leader should shove, not smile

I can’t say that I’m surprised; but what’s particularly pitiful here is that they don’t even seem to grasp the situation beyond the rudimentary schoolyard-ape-shoving level.

Certainly when talking about the US presidency, and pretty typically for governments that aren’t some 12th century petty barony, you don’t have to choose between smiling and inflicting violence. You have people for the latter function, because specialization of labor is a thing now; but there’s no contradiction between being diplomatic at some diplomatic summit and having an MQ-9 ruin somebody’s day. (Indeed, if there’s a day when the president of the United States isn’t doing that; it’s probably because he’s not smiling)

I’d be curious to know how much of this is just down to the fact that they are commenting on a member of the enemy tribe, so it is axiomatic that what he is doing is wrong, and how much is down to a more or less profound failure to grapple with social and governmental institutions at scale that retreats into a childish assumption that the social signals of the strongman are a meaningful proxy for the behavior of the state as a whole.

(edit, not sure why I forgot about this: One wonders what they would have thought of noted liberal snowflake and effeminate weakling Teddy ‘the avuncular walrus of imperialism’ Roosevelt’s advice of “Speak softly and carry a big stick”. Probably just a RINO.)

7 Likes

Must have cajones!

ren and stimpy nicksplat GIF

5 Likes

As I recall, that was the conference where he arrived late, and left early, and then threw a tantrum.

7 Likes

Need to be more specific

(ThatsTheJoke.gif)

9 Likes

Or this:
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

5 Likes

As the brush.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure Republicans do believe in that, and even that patriotism requires criticism of the president, every other administration.

4 Likes

Jesse Waters has a face begging to be led.

2 Likes

But have they ever tried telling a leader “you should smile more”?

2 Likes

Everyone knows what a lethal country Montenegro is. Shoving the guy out of the way certainly showed that TFG had no problem putting him in his place.

Was that the one where he refused to visit the WWI grave of a soldier on the 100th anniversary of something because he didn’t want to get the wombat on his head wet? He threw the temper tantrum because he got blowback for not going and was mad at his staff because they didn’t tell him how important it was.

2 Likes

I was thinking of a G7 one, but really, they were all the same.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.