Frank Miller started a publishing company

Originally published at: Frank Miller started a publishing company | Boing Boing

3 Likes

fetchimage

6 Likes

I sure hope he gets Geoff Darrow involved. Big Damn Hard Boiled and Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot are prized books on my shelf.

6 Likes

Loved his earlier stuff… haven’t really followed him since the mid 90s, though I know he went off the rails on some things :frowning:

In other comics news, legend and comics rights pioneer Neal Adams died. :frowning:

I got to meet him a few times. I even briefly talked about his kooky belief in an expanding earth.

8 Likes

here ya go

8 Likes

He’s undeniably talented and historically important. But it seems dishonest not to mention the reasons his reputation have taken a blow (the misogyny, homophobia, and sympathies with the alt-right), which is linked to the ways his work haven’t aged well in some cases (the fascist undertones).

20 Likes

Hard to believe a guy who wrote lots of stories about men seriously hurting other men turned out to be an asshole.

22 Likes

I was blown away by Ronin; and then, a few years later, I had fun spotting all the panels Miller had lifted from Goseki Kojima. I had a similar journey with Keith Giffin and the work of José Antonio Muñoz (also an “influence” on Miller).

6 Likes

Say Word Lol GIF by Desus & Mero

It’s like those things are connected somehow… /s

14 Likes

I Wonder Emma Stone GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 Likes

Many, many years ago I belonged to a comics apa to which Miller also belonged. He was just a kid, one of the youngest members. I remember that along with his passion for Mickey Spillane he and a brother who often contributed with him seemed to be fascinated with Nazis. In those days the general reaction was to shake one’s head with a wry smile and say, “whatever.” As the bough is bent…

Setting that aside, while I admit Miller had a huge impact on comics history, I don’t think his was a positive influence. Innovative storytelling techniques are all well and good. That doesn’t outweigh the fact that Miller was one of the early post-Code creators to define “adult” as violent and misogynistic. I don’t expect comics to be all rainbows and unicorns, but in the wake of Miller, Moore (another icon), and their followers mainstream “adult” comics became increasingly focused on ultra-violence, especially sexualized ultra-violence, to the point that stories that didn’t stress those elements were considered antiquated. In my opinion that limited, rather than opened up, the world of graphic storytelling.

13 Likes

I’ve long thought that “Rated A for Adult” should read “Rated A for Adolescent”.

10 Likes

I don´t think this venture will be sucessfull.
Not because of Millers reputation, but because the comic industry is ailing in general.
It was not doing well before corona, and the last two years gave it some additional blows. I read that several publishers are at the brink of bankrupcy and even the Big Two are basically zombies kept alive by Disney and Time-Warner.
But who knows? Maybe Miller will suprise us all.

3 Likes

Nealy out here caping for Von Trier AND Miller? Yikes yikes yikes.

8 Likes

Although Miller’s reputation has taken several significant blows over the last twenty years, it’s impossible to discount his importance in the medium.

No need to use the passive voice when the blows to Miller’s reputation were self-inflicted.

12 Likes

“A for Adolescent “

Yes. Dark Knight was AMAZING when I was 14. It made catwoman a hooker!! Whoa! Mature! Gritty!

Miller’s tastes seem to have been arrested at this point and begun actively regressing since 9/11.

A 14 year old boy liking punching and boobs to exclusion is understandable. Not so much in a grown ass adult.

11 Likes

New, from Edgy Comics, “Boob-Fist!”

6 Likes

“What a pair of knockers!”

5 Likes

Shortpacked! Frank Miller

15 Likes

Especially because those are the very reasons why it is especially problematic for him to be a publisher.

12 Likes