Franken to resign

To be on topic, there’s a lot of cognitive dissonance here with this whole subject.

On the 1 hand, we have been tolerant of shitty male behavior for way too long and chickens are finally coming home to roost. Good.

B. But right the fuck NOW? When our backs are up against the wall already??? Smear job anyone?

iii. But if we clear away the deadwood now, then maybe we could get to a real Democratic party that actually is composed of people with the values we value, i.e. Progressives.

z3 section xviii, paragraph 4.: But the more we fuck around with purifying the ranks now, the more difficult it will be to ever come back to the majority.

(whispering voice): [[[what if the Republicans do some crazy shit while we are tied up, to make it so that we can’t EVER get back to the majority?!?]]]

ASSHOLE TO THE RIGHT: BUNCHA FUCKIN PUSSIES!

ASSHOLE TO THE LEFT: FUCK YOU BIGOT ASSHOLES AND SEX PREDATORS!

etc.

It’s too much. My knee jerk reaction is, well, chocolate because it’s 3pm and then after that, return to hoping a clear voice emerges from the shadows, like Barry O’s at John Kerry’s convention. I mean, everyone knew that was our next President, within the first couple sentences of his speech. We need someone like that. She’s out there. I know it.

Sorry to have a dissenting opinion from you and refuse to let people slide, but given that women have had to put up with second class citizenship, and no one believing us for most of human history, I’m glad to see that there are finally fucking consequences for men assaulting women. Maybe the men who do stuff like this will finally get it through their heads that it’s NOT ACCEPTABLE to do these things anymore.

12 Likes

No. Putting tribalism ahead of actual women is how we got here in the first place. The blame and consequences of his resignation fall squarely on Franken.

16 Likes

At what point is it okay for these accusations to be brought to light then? When the democratic party finally takes back the congress? They don’t need to do this to get the vote of the right, they need to do this to show that they are going to do the right thing and be the party of integrity.

This is a bipartisan problem and just because the GOP has it too doesn’t mean that it’s not the right thing for him to step down.

odo-precisely

20 Likes

Where do I send the check for your campaign?

2 Likes

Thanks for taking me seriously. Clearly, I’m not needed in this discussion any longer.

5 Likes

Let me show you the mirror:

Franken was for many horrible things: government leeching and handouts, killing of unborn children, welcoming foreign invaders, cowardly appeasement, stifling regulation and undermining of the 2nd amendment, among others; GOP meanwhile wants to bring us freedom from bureaucratic redistribution, freedom of worship, effective anti-crime measures, a flexible pro-business environment, strong America abroad, protection of the sanctity of life and support for domestic industry. You get the picture. There is a HUGE difference between our goals and their goals.

Or, in other news, nobody is a villain in their own story.
(This is not to say most of the Republican platform isn’t a contemptible mix of plutocracy and tribalism. But procedural fairness matters and you can’t just argue for special treatment on the basis of “our team’s ideas are the best and your ideas are evil!”)

4 Likes

Of course it’s a “smear campaign.” The GOP got hit and now they’re hitting back. So taking the blow, resigning and turning it into a judo move on them is precisely the right response. We accept accountability for our actions - what about your senators? And governors? And presidents?

5 Likes

I feel being a comedian is a double edged sword, as a huge part of being a comedian is making others uncomfortable, especially yourself. You have to be both immature and self-aware that you are being a jerk at times. Way too many chances to make baggage, I fear.

We are in the darkest timeline.

nFkO4R4

1 Like

tng-picard-facepalm

10 Likes

And we haven’t even gotten to the part where Trump starts a war with North Korea to wag the dog and deflect the results of the Mueller investigation.

3 Likes

“Belatedly caving in to overwhelming pressure after a sustained attempt to minimise a long history of crimes” is not what I’d call integrity.

5 Likes

It’s been broken for several thousand years. At least.

6 Likes

https://theestablishment.co/dear-al-franken-ill-miss-you-but-you-can-t-matter-anymore-f2f690672b4f

8 Likes

Honestly, if “finding people who can champion progressive values but who have not engaged in sexual assault” is too high a bar to set then maybe we should all just give up and go home.

The only false accusation that has come to light recently was the one involved with James O’Keefe’s failed sting operation to discredit the Washington Post’s coverage of Roy Moore, and that one was exposed pretty much immediately. “False accusations of sexual assault taking down the careers of innocent men” has just never really been a thing.

15 Likes

I wonder how Moore getting shot by the father (or older brother) of one of the young women he “dated” would go over down in Allabammy.

“You disgraced my family’s honor, suh!” BLAM!

Entirely different story if a survivor shot him herself . . . can’t have women standing up for themselves you know.

6 Likes

From that article, this is spot on:

you did this. You and your hubris and your feelings of entitlement to the bodies of women did this. You did this to yourself and us.

She’s mostly right that there is nothing good about this…I think the fact that people are facing consequences for their actions is a good thing.

My humanity would need to wait for a more convenient time. So often women are told that when you look at the big picture, their humanity is just too inconvenient..[cut]And now Al, many in my own party are trying to convince me that the humanity of your victims needs to wait until a more convenient time.

Holy shit, THIS!

You are facing consequences for your actions.

lloyd-kaufman-yes

12 Likes
9 Likes

15 Likes