Freak hailstorm in Italy causes river of ice to roar down the main boulevard, injuring 100

Originally published at: Freak hailstorm in Italy causes river of ice to roar down the main boulevard, injuring 100 | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Too bad we broke the planet.

15 Likes

Something like this happened at Lava Beds National Monument in California one spring about 35(?) years ago. Two inches of hail fell in a brief period, followed by heavy rain, and the fallen hail started to move … down Cave Loop Rd. The topography being what it was, it mostly funneled into the entrance of one lava tube cave and refroze. I heard that cave was closed for months, the ice didn’t thaw until August.

11 Likes

Yikes! That is crazy.

2 Likes

Not only was the hailstorm massive, but some of the hail was massive as well - I’ve seen some pictures of cars with their windows and hard tops smashed in from hailstones the size of fists.

4 Likes

Calgary had the same thing happen last week. Hail is not uncommon there in summer, and sometimes quite large hail. But this… this has never happened:

A shopping mall roof dome was shattered, rivers of slush ran down streets. On some of the major roadways, they had to get out the snowplows (in July) to clear the ice.

This is on the heels of multiple tornados in the area (which used to get one tornado every twenty years or so). We have indeed broken the planet.

9 Likes

It’ll reset.

Rebooting takes a couple of million years and there is inevitably going to be some loss of the dominant species.

Maybe the next intelligent genus will learn to interpret the fossil and sediment record before deciding to burn its ancestors.

8 Likes

Opposable thumbs are the key culprit. If the next intelligent genus doesn’t develop them, all well and good. Can’t do much harm without a grip. If it does, well, there goes the neighborhood again.

5 Likes

Sucks big time that despite having a grip, we just can’t seem to get a grip. :weary:

7 Likes

octopodes

8 Likes

I can see you haven’t met my cat.

7 Likes

Well, if some of our descendants would survive, they’ll probably be considered a living fossil. Maybe they can get a status akin to nowadays protected species.

Or maybe not

4 Likes

Yeah, what’s your one-week outlook for basil and oregano in gardens in Seregno, though? Extra flavorful and all jammed up in front of Jimmy Pesto’s, or what?

1 Like

Honestly that seems like a pretty modest increase given the conditions but then again it might just be hard for injured people to make it to the hospital in the first place.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.