Free-roaming, dancing Baby Groot robot debuts at Disneyland test

Adult midgets exist as well as adult dwarves. Sid and Marty Kroftt were employing this kinda scheme back in the 70’s, with “puppets” leaving the stage. Personally I think it’s neither man nor machine, it’s a hologram. An adult hologram requiring no supervision. A hologram with feelings, so watch what you say…

red dwarf 80s GIF

1 Like

Yeah! The Google Doodle today was the inventor of Voguing…scones? Willis DuPree aka Willi Ninja. And Groot doesn’t quiiiite do that! Did they use up the PiZero outputs? [Baby Darth Vader enters, and explains his Postgraduate Career in Imagineering…throws lots of shade at an Anakin self-characterization.]

1 Like

I guess maybe it’s just a test for the technology. But it’s weird to invest all that work into a character that, in the films, was only that size for a second and in the new movie has already grown almost back to his original larger than human size.
I mean instead of like, a Yoda or babu frik or rocket raccoon or some character that stays a smaller size a bit longer…

I don’t think either of those terms are currently in vogue for people of small stature. In any case most little people have ambitions that go beyond their potential value as novelty performers dancing for public entertainment, so even if Disney found an adult who had the right body proportions to wear a Baby Groot costume odds are good that person would have different career plans.

1 Like

That’s the size of the character in the Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout! ride that’s in California Adventure so having him that size in the park would preserve that continuity.

But they usually don’t have specific characters in mind when they start this R&D work. There were Imagineers working on animatronics that could control their orientation when being tossed through the air before the company owned the rights to Spider-Man, then they ended up using the technology for a little live show they do with that character.

Disney has no shortage of short-statured animated characters that could be walking and dancing around the park. If it wasn’t Groot it would no doubt be some other character. (And they probably will be adding other characters soon)

This article from a couple years ago discusses the development:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.