Free speech foe Elon Musk suspends Washington Post's Taylor Lorenz for asking him for a comment

Originally published at: Free speech foe Elon Musk suspends Washington Post's Taylor Lorenz for asking him for a comment | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I’m shocked, shocked that someone who’s been ingratiating himself with the far rights is doing the very thing that he’s accusing other people of doing.

44 Likes

I mean… (waves hand at past commentary)… yes, I fully expected this behavior. Come on. I’m so tired of people acting like they are shocked, SHOCKED, that he is not living up to the free speech hype he portrayed. I know these people. We all do. They’ve been pulling this same bullshit schtick since the first one of them thought to make the false claim that “media is biased against us” (then it was politically correct, then it was woke, now it’s just anything with a pulse and a modicum of accurate facts).

26 Likes

When do we get to call him “Cancel Karen”?

18 Likes

He’s proving that there’s no such thing as a free-speech absolutist – least of the person who loudly proclaims he is one.

19 Likes

I like it but I’m sticking with King Rat.

Of course he’s a Free Speech Absolutist; he gets to say what he wants and absolutely nobody else does.

26 Likes

Five years ago today:

And I thought it would be hard to get MSM to shift off Twitter…

21 Likes

Twitter isn’t free speech anymore, it’s $44 billion dollar speech.

16 Likes

That midJourney pic looks much less like Musk than it does Phil Edwards of Vox videos.

I think when he said he was a free speech absolutist, we must have misunderstood what he meant. He seems to have meant that on the topic of free speech, he has an absolute position. That position being that there is absolutely no need for it. He just forgot to tweet the second part, because he got distracted by the munchies.

8 Likes

He believes in absolute free speech, but he also believes everything beyond his skin is a simulation.

12 Likes

Huh, the guy who has a pre-Twitter history of using every tool at his disposal to shut down speech he didn’t like, and who made it clear that he was perfectly happy to shut down “legal” speech that he personally didn’t like is… exactly who he appeared to be. Weird, that.

11 Likes

Just when I think this shitstorm can’t rain harder, it does

9 Likes

To be fair, he also is in favor of people saying that they worship him… they get freeze peach too… those of us being critical… not so much!

8 Likes

Well he seemingly just doxxed himself by boasting about being at the World Cup Final. (Which is not the biggest surprise in the world - the question is whether it was he or Jared K. (also present) who persuaded the Qataris to pay for the trip.)

9 Likes

The Verge article you referenced also says he is banning links to link aggregators, like Linktree, presumably because they might contain links to the sites he is trying to ban.

So if you post a link to your own web page, which contains links to your other social media, will that get banned, too? And how far does this transitivity go? It kind of reminds me of someone else who was enamored with building a wall.

8 Likes

Well, it has “trans” in it. So…

9 Likes

The math appears to be “whatever Elon thinks and happens to be paying attention to”

6 Likes

I assume that you will soon only be allowed to post links to other tweets…

5 Likes

Through some eyes during Arab spring, Twitter was considered the best example of a possible libertarian utopia where private enterprise created something of real value and allowed people to communicate and build things in a way that they couldn’t before.
And now one rich asshole comes in tears the whole thing down illustrating precisely the opposite.
Remember this when your idiot cousin asserts that all public roads should be turnpikes.

11 Likes