Twitter's ex-integrity chief demolishes Elon in epic rant

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/25/twitters-ex-integrity-chief-demolishes-elon-in-epic-rant.html

8 Likes

Can someone please post a link to the rant that is readable by those of us who have chosen not to support Musk by creating a Twitter account?

32 Likes

36 Likes
26 Likes

Thank you. I think the second tweet in that thread is especially relevant here:

2/ TL;DR: After watching and tweeting dramatically less for the past two years, I’ve decided that (for me) even passive participation on this platform amounts to complicity in Elon Musk’s project of promoting anti-democratic values.

I will not have any part in that.

Using a Twitter account to criticize Elon, or even to read criticism of Elon, is still providing passive support for the platform.

24 Likes

Simpsons really called it!
season 7 GIF

16 Likes

I’m all for leaders operating for reasons other than profit, but

12 Likes

I’m impressed it’s still a going concern. I expected him to have killed it long before now.

17 Likes

I’m still waiting for BB to stop constantly linking to the site but i’ve held back on complaining about it because often its pretty much every post. Hopefully more feel the need to ask for alternate links so that they’ll actually listen.

31 Likes

It’s only been two years?

Wow.

8 Likes

I’ll give him points for making things clear in the preceding post, however. Something for the remaining hangers-on (looking at you, most of the media):

And today is my last post on this platform.

Fully agreed: he’s late to the party.

14 Likes

Better late than never. I’m all for people dissing Twitter on their way out the door, but I sure as heck am not going to sign up for a Twitter account so I can see what they had to say about Twitter.

14 Likes

Yeah, but like it or not, I doubt he got 2.6 million views on another platform. If the point is getting the message out, it’s going to still be your best platform.

If he sticks to his guns and leaves after this, it’s understandable. It’s similar to the “Yet you participate in society…” meme.

10 Likes

At this point it feels like every point isn’t just uncontroversial, it’s been well documented, to the point where it feels a bit weird to be saying it now. I guess it’s useful for those who haven’t been paying attention - but they’re not going to be paying attention to this, either, so…

Well, it is his last post, and if you were posting one last thing on Twitter, it’s reasonable for it to be something like this. (And conversely, if one had been on Twitter, and still hadn’t posted something like this, it was worth coming back to post it.)

Yeah, I really expected it to be a smoking crater by now. Inertia has kept it going, despite everything, I guess, but I also think Elno has been very, very lucky on the technical front. That things haven’t fallen apart are no thanks to him, because he’s tempted fate in multiple ways by doing really dumb things that didn’t turn into disasters but easily could have.

In every respect it feels at least a year late.

6 Likes

I get that, what I meant is that I am not about to create a Twitter account to see what he said because that would mean me giving Elon my passive support.

8 Likes

Better Late Than Never Tampon

8 Likes

:+1: Readers shouldn’t miss the killer Salon article that ended Perez’s rant.

4 Likes
8 Likes

It was dead on arrival.

I interviewed to be an anti-abuse UX researcher a while back.

I would have been researching tools for groups like DV victims, people who’d been systematically harassed etc.

They ended up simply not filling the role, then let Trump run roughshod over the site for many years, and folks external to the site came up with stuff like Block Party

Due to Metcalfe’s law, the strength of a social network is N^2, where N is the userbase.

So when you favor toxic users who have lots of “engagement” over a broad swathe of the populace, you put your network into a death spiral.

While Musk poured gas on the fire, the issue was raging before he took the helm.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.