Freed sex offender hopes to blend in

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/21/freed-sex-offender-hopes-to-bl.html

I wonder if the tats help or hinder facial recognition… I’ve read reports “nonstandard” (aka nonwhite) faces aren’t as accurate

4 Likes

The case was proceeding to trial until the woman was found dead, at that point, it was dropped,

WTAF?

52 Likes

Kidnap and rape a woman for 3 months and you only get 4 years? Our sentencing structure is completely out of whack.

41 Likes

4 years???

11 Likes

Maybe longer in a mental health facility, but people who murder often get out after 10 so you probably don’t want to create a situation where someone isn’t incentivized to leave a witness and you probably want whatever they emerge from to have treated them not just broken them further

3 Likes

“I’m thinking of having that tattooed on my face, dearest.”

1 Like

That’s a question I would like to know the answer as well. Even if the technology fails here, it’s not like any human looking at a picture of this guy for just a second is going to have a tough time figuring out who this guy is though.

1 Like

This article jumps around a bit but it seems like there may have been multiple rape cases and victims that died in unrelated circumstances.

9 Likes

Oh-h-h-h-h-h-, now I get it: evidently in Alaska and/or Nevada, assault women any way you wish and if they later are found dead, you totally get away with it. Wow. Just…wow.

24 Likes

I really can not believe that charges were dropped because the victim died. What the hell

15 Likes

Don’t do drugs kids.

Sounds about right for sexual assault these days. Remember Brock Turner?

Days after Selovich took the plea deal, the victim in the Las Vegas case died after she was hit by a car, Chief Deputy District Attorney Jake Villani said.

I hope they checked into that very carefully.

10 Likes

He is a white guy.

1 Like

He appears to be getting the level of sympathy he deserves. None.

5 Likes

I am not a lawyer, but I suspect that it is the right to cross examine any witness against you that is getting in the way here. If they had to drop any evidence that came from the victim, the case wouldn’t be strong enough to prosecute.

1 Like

why are you reading a british tabloid for american news?

“Why didn’t she report it?” some people always ask.

The handling of this predator is a case study in why:

the offense simply doesn’t seem to be given the weight it deserves by the legal system. Some choice excerpts from Metro:

18 Likes

I did a Google search of the offender’s name to get more details of the story. The link I posted had more information than the others.

2 Likes