Freeze Peach 🍑 (USA)

Nah
 can’t be racism. Racism is OVER, everyone knows that. We had a black president after all! /s

7 Likes

Again, THIS is what a REAL threat to free speech looks like:

10 Likes

The scary part is these kinds of resolutions, while purportedly about supporting Israel, are more likely to lead to an increase in anti-Semitism.

5 Likes

What does the bill say? Are they going to team with up Air Miles to examine your purchase history to figure out if you bought something from Israel and if not you get a visit from the FBI? Obviously if you don’t have an Air Miles card they will assume it is to evade prosecution.

I did read the act, but it doesn’t really have a plain meaning. Without knowing the case law around the amended act it is very hard for me to tell whether this law is just a showpiece that has essentially no legal effect or whether it makes it a felony to go to Canada; but it’s somewhere in that range.

This might also be some idiot’s stupid idea rather than a real thing that’s really going to happen.

When people decide to boycott Israel, I’ll admit it gets my antenna up. I’ve had conversations with people that slide seamlessly from human rights violations against Palestinians to dehumanizing Jewish people in general. If this was part of an extremely hard line against anti-semitism and Nazis I’d be more curious about the details. But to go after Israel boycotts while the chief executive is still on about neo-nazi’s being “fine people” just reminds you that American policy is always about money, never about people.

4 Likes
3 Likes
8 Likes

But members of the alt-right getting banned from platforms is the REAL attack on free speech
 /s

6 Likes

7 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

TERF writer loses lawsuit against Twitter, will remain banned

Writer claims she ‘won’t be silenced’

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/terf-writer-loses-lawsuit-against-twitter-will-remain-banned/#gs.j92kh3

6 Likes

grumpy-cat-good

7 Likes

Cry Babies

2 Likes

^ this.

9 Likes

“The ‘right to be a bigot’ ceases to exist without a target. We need to accept hate speech has consequences“

Word. How about some action?

13 Likes

Ugh. I’ve donated to the Guardian under their pay-what-you-want funding model in the past. I guess that gives me the power to write a “No more donations from me until I see this fixed” email (not that I was donating enough for them to care, but hopefully I’ll be one-of-many).

Those headlines cited in the story are grotesque.

11 Likes

“PC culture run amok as a teacher makes a joke and gets suspended
”

“Ohhhhh wait, the teacher was making fun of confederate flag waving white people.”

“Well, I guess we can’t just let people tell any old joke
”

11 Likes

Some recent events regarding freedom of speech and of the press

&

7 Likes

Yeah, that shit has been scary.

As for the under(virtually nonexistent) reporting, it’s not like almost all of the people who make a living as “journalists” in the U.S. actually deserve that title. Amy Goodman did cover this harassment/intimidation on Democracy Now, of course.

8 Likes