French tribunal rules "faggot" isn't homophobic

[Read the post]

Huffing Boing Boing

The French have a word for it…

Regardless of whether the term is intrinsically homophobic, he stated it as the reason to dismiss the employee. “I’m not keeping him because he’s a homosexual” is no better.

What is “PD” short for?

The only non-homophobic explanation I can think of is “the employee in question was a sapient bundle of sticks.”

I was unsure myself - but found it.

It’s French SMS speak for pédé. Though this is a shortening of pédéraste it is only (mostly?) used as slur on male homosexuals.

Surprisingly, PD is not directly short for anything. It simply sounds the same as “pédé”, which is short for “pédéraste”.

How in the world did politicians from U.S. southern states infiltrate a French tribunal? Sneaky little bastards!

In Canadian french, we use ‘tapette’, or ‘fifi’ (older usage).

Edited to add: …or ‘fif’. (Yes, we snicker when someone “pleads the fif’”).

#merde

(my complete French vocabulary)

…the word wasn’t a homophobic slur when used at a hair salon, where people are often gay.

Wow. The place I go just cuts hair.

The French have 257 different cheeses, that should tell you everything you need to know about the French. And I should know, I’m French!

Or a bassoonist.

Dear the French:

If your main reasoning that a word is not homophobic is based upon a stereotype about the professions of homosexual men, the word is probably homophobic.

Sincerely,

Some Guy Online.

In the reasoning, the tribunal said: “If we put it in the context of the field of hairdressing, the council considers that the term ‘faggot’ used by a manager cannot be considered as a homophobic insult, because hair salons regularly employ gay people, notably in female hairdressers, and that poses no problem at all.”

@SpunkyTWS – thanks for that clip, powerful stuff. Good(?) to know, too, where “flaming faggot” comes from.

Bigotry aside that argument makes my head hurt.

If it had been “You joined < famously rough reactionary field without a single out gay guy>. How exactly did you expect that to go over?” then that would have been messed up but at least somewhat internally consistent.

it feels much different if you are the one being called it, i’ve found.

Hey, I happen to consider that huge variety of cheeses a plus because I love cheese! Seriously a nice slice of mimolette is something De Gaulle and I could bond over.

The French tribunal’s ruling brings to mind Eddie Izzard’s line “I like the French but they can be kinda French sometimes.”

A truer statement has never been said.