Fresh pink pineapples (genetically modified) are about to be a thing in the US

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/26/fresh-pink-pineapples-genetic.html

2 Likes

Apologies in advance, I’m hungover.

1 Like

I’m sorry, they’re sweeter than regular pineapples? Is that something consumers were asking for?

15 Likes

But if something sweeter is wanted, why not eat an apple or an orange?

ETA: Here is a picture of a Red Spanish pineapple, to show that the red color is nothing new. What seems to be new is that Del Monte has the patent/trademark on the GMO version.

3 Likes

Pretty :heart_eyes:

We’re all gonna die :scream:

I was going for a balanced comment. I may have missed due to the unnecessary fruit dickery on display.

7 Likes

Wait, what? There are apples that are sweeter than pineapples?

5 Likes

Genetically modified pineapples? I’m gunna pass.

2 Likes

Del Monte’s scientists have genetically engineered the new pineapple variety to produce lower levels of an enzyme present in conventional pineapple that converts the pink pigment lycopene to the yellow pigment beta carotene. “Lycopene is the pigment that makes tomatoes red and watermelons pink, so it is commonly and safely consumed,” the FDA said in a statement.

I was wondering if these were somehow transgenic. I suppose not.

I reckon they’re still going to have a very hard time arguing with people convinced that they smooshed a flamingo and a pineapple together in a devil machine, though.

17 Likes

I’ll happily give them a try, no matter how they were pink-ified.

15 Likes

I can only hope this inspires a Tiki cocktail renaissance.

11 Likes

I’m excited. Trying fruits I’ve never eaten was basically my hobby as a kid but I ran out of things available for sale in my area. Also they are very pretty.

5 Likes

As a fellow unusual-fruit-eater I have to ask – have you tried jackfruit?

They’re just starting to be more available around here, and ripe jackfruit has that ‘essence of tropical fruit’ flavor that’s somewhere between mango, pineapple, and banana. Just tried it for the first time yesterday and it’s worth checking out.

5 Likes

Pink pineapples? yawn. I want some though solely b/c GMO and to annoy people who hate GMO for spurious reasons.

10 Likes

Del Monte’s scientists have genetically engineered the new pineapple variety to produce lower levels of an enzyme present in conventional pineapple that converts the pink pigment lycopene to the yellow pigment beta carotene. “Lycopene is the pigment that makes tomatoes red and watermelons pink, so it is commonly and safely consumed,” the FDA said in a statement.

If I read that right. These have a higher level of lycopene…that’s normally converted to beta carotene.
This could spell problems for people that are not allergic to pineapples, but are allergic to tomatoes.

5 Likes

UPDATE: Available soon as they can eliminate the pink pineapple’s tendency to scream in agony when you split off the tuft of leaves up top.

6 Likes

Me too! I’m so excited about this. Incidentally, it appears from this patent that they suppressed some endogenous lycopene degrading enzymes,and introduced a gene from tangerine that modulates carotenoid levels. I honestly cannot wait to try these.

4 Likes

I have! It was long enough ago that I should probably go get another to refresh my memory. Or maybe I want an excuse to buy something fun

The outside is pretty. The inside is the color that pineapple turns when it’s been cut up and left in the fridge for many weeks. I didn’t even open the container, I just sacrificed it to the gods of dead tupperware.

5 Likes

I’ve had jackfruit, its not too bad…I took a month and a half trip to Malaysia that introduced me to all sorts of strange fruits. Try mangosteens or rambutan if you get a chance. I would also recommend durian, but getting a fresh one is a crap shoot in America, I’ve heard.

As for this article, pineapple is like my addiction, ones close to me chide me over it. I don’t know if it needs to be sweeter but definitely check it out when I can.

2 Likes

I love mangosteen, but haven’t had rambutan yet. Fresh durian’s actually pretty easy to get ahold of around me – there’s plenty of Asian markets where they can be picked up. It’s delicious stuff, but its reputation for stinkiness when overripe is well-earned.

2 Likes