Would you like a miniature pineapple?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/28/would-you-like-a-miniature-pineapple.html

5 Likes

“Did you really think that you could bear the Precious Honeyglow Pineapple? The universe’s super fruit? How dare you, Jessica. My greatest student, and my greatest disappointment.” — Reverend Mother Mohiam

13 Likes

First, can we get a banana for scale?

Second…

high quality GIF

16 Likes

Yeah, somehow I don’t trust a giant fruit company to do the right thing in the tropics.

15 Likes

In my experience, prepping a pineapple for consumption is significantly more time-consuming than preparing a banana. The waste it produces also tends to be a bit more fiddly than a banana peel.

I don’t understand this product at all.

12 Likes

I Wonder Emma Stone GIF by Saturday Night Live

I mean… I was just wanting a banana for scale! :grin:

12 Likes

This is good because people who are tired of throwing tomatoes now have something significantly more cruel to throw at people

2 Likes

Cruel to who, the baby pineapples?

3 Likes

There’s also a lot less of a pineapple we’d consider edible, although every part of a pineapple–and a banana–is edible if you’re hungry enough.

10 Likes

Considering that a normal pineapple is like 70% inedible, I’m guessing that this little guy will amount to about one bite and a huge pile or organic waste.

8 Likes

Ancient news, these cultivars have been around since classical Roman times. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Are you questioning the moral integrity and commitment to the environment of Del Monte!!! /s

Oh My God Omg GIF

13 Likes

I honestly hadn’t even thought that far :grin:. I was stuck imagining the extremely disappointing effort-to-food ratio of this tiny pineapple.

8 Likes

That’s definitely not a pineapple. Pineapples didn’t come to Europe from the Americas until the 1400s.

How is it on a pizza?

15 Likes

I mean, yeah, that is a good question! :grin:

Of course, one thing about bio-waste, at least you can put that stuff in a compost bin? Slightly better than other kinds of waste I suppose?

9 Likes

That’s a colonialist assumption we’ve already debunked in a previous thread. :grin:

1 Like

Weighing Options Are You Sure GIF

7 Likes

We were on Rapa Nui last month, and there were street vendors selling tiny pineapples. They’d cut the skin off and leave the leaves, and you’d hold it by the leaves and gnaw on the fruit like it was an ice cream cone. It was a very interesting way to consume pineapple.

12 Likes

wrong direction. want giant pineapples; to serve housing issues.

(don’t suppose spongebob ate the architecture, do we?)

12 Likes