Fresh pink pineapples (genetically modified) are about to be a thing in the US

Yes, I can only eat it outdoors. But good lord it is honestly delicious in a nice breeze. The amount of fruit there seriously blew my mind. It’s a vastly underknown cuisine in the US, also.

2 Likes

Speaking on behalf of the GMO-positive, pro-labeling crowd (aka people that honor science over political screeds) YAY for making it obviously, visibly different. I wish those involved every success!

2 Likes

Do they leave the stems on them so you can use them to beat people who complain about them being GMO?

3 Likes

We already have anti-GMO people out in HI who think that it’s a good idea to cut down a plantation of rainbow papaya trees because, y’know, GMO. I wonder how long it’s going to be before someone torches a field of the pink pineapple, if they try to plant it.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if they meant to say that the pink pineapples are more on the sweet side, and less tart.

1 Like

I like to keep the tops as houseplants; these ones look super pretty.

2 Likes

Related? You be the judge…

1 Like

Pineapple has a definite astringent, tannic component. One I fucking hate. It goes away if you cook it hot enough, like grill it. But I for one would dig on a “sweeter” pineapple if “sweeter” means less of that instead of more sugar. As it often does. As with onions “sweet” onions aren’t actually any sweeter than the other sorts they just have less of the harsh tasting compounds involved. Cooked they all basically taste the same. But raw “sweet” onions are much milder. Same deal “sweet” peppers vs hot. Just means less capsasin.

Both of which are less sweet than pineapple. Based both in subjective taste, and on actual sugar content.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to trying them as well.

The white pineapples are delicious, so it’s an easy bet these are pretty darn good.

1 Like

Basically all food is genetically modified in some way.

6 Likes

I’m going to call them Pink Nipples from now on.

5 Likes

Hey look it’s “That guy”

I’ll go ahead and assume this is a new thing. However, I remember when TX A&M developed the purple carrot, one of the school colors. This, it turns out was not new. In fact, that was the carrot’s original color, which was bread out.

3 Likes

Not new, except for the part where this particular pineapple is branded/patented by Del Monte. There are already many varieties of pineapples, some of which are pink. For example the Red Spanish pineapple
ETA see above
ETA I have not eaten a Red Spanish pineapple, so cannot attest to their flavor.

2 Likes

Rambutan’s a lot like lychee/litchi (they’re close relatives of it), it’s good.

4 Likes

Does it taste like despair?

1 Like

3 Likes

To all the people hating on anti-GMO people, I’ll see you in the other thread where you’re arguing that patent monopolies are harmful, but somehow can’t apply that logic when it is used to cover the fucking food supply.

GMO is a terrible, terrible idea because it allows living things to be covered by patents. So long as that is the case, and so long as we have a corporate agriculture system where giant agricorps control the global food supply, any right-thinking person should be wholly opposed to GMO, irrespective of the biology.

4 Likes

Because then it would taste like an apple or an orange and not like a pineapple, as there are other differences in flavor between these fruits than just sweetness level?
I don’t know, it just seems like a bizarre suggestion to me, like “oh, that piece of bacon’s too salty? How about a slice of bread instead? That tastes exactly like less-salty bacon!”

2 Likes

A history of some of the lawsuits Monsanto has been involved in should reinforce this point.

2 Likes