Freshman Missouri Rep almost made it 3 months before introducing bill urging members to say "fiscal," not "physical"

My dad was born in Flint, MI, of people who migrated from the Northeast, specifically Haverstraw, NY; he said “warsh” for “wash” and “rolly coaster” for “roller coaster”. There’s a street in Detroit, a most definitely French-settled place, named Marsailles, but instead of “Mar-say”, it’s pronounced - you got it! - “Mar-salls”. I think the only other street on the east side (my old 'hood) that has an uncommon pronunciation is Freud, which is pronounced locally as “Frood”.

5 Likes

Let’s not forget De-kwin-der (Dequindre), Cad-ill-lack (Cadillac), Cad-u (Cadieux - at least this one’s not terribly far off), Liv-er-noy (Livernois), Saint O-ben (St. Aubin), Shar-leh-voy (Charlevoix), Grash-i-ott (Gratiot), and many, many more!

I’ll give 'em Iroquois and Nicollet, though, everyone in the US says those wrong.

[edit] Isn’t Frood what Bill & Ted called Freud?

4 Likes

And why did those people bother going to the holodeck to work out if they weren’t even going to turn on a program?

4 Likes

Sister went to Mizzou; they told her the same thing. But my brother went to Cal and they thought he had an accent, too.

1 Like

Heh. So yeah my name is a gaelic bastardization of that. I had never heard it pronounced so was always scratching my head about it. Then in my 30s I watched The Rules Of The Game with MrsTobinL and one of the characters was a St. Aubin which is pronounced more or less daub-an and the connection was finally made.

1 Like

I’ve mostly heard it called “Vitch-ee” – close but no cigar. (I’m from Columbia & have driven through Vichy dozens of times, but I’m not a native.)

New MAD-rid is another good one.

2 Likes

They have one of those near Ames, Iowa, too. So weird.

Now I live near a My-lan (Milan). :cry:

1 Like

I’ve lived in Missouri long enough now that every time I read a mention of (say) the Treaty of Versailles, the little reading voice in my head says “Ver-SAILS”, And then my little reading voice weeps.

11 Likes

I’ve always heard/pronounced it as “AW-bin”. And I knew a girl in KY named Aubin, who was originally from NJ.

Livernois and Charlevoix aren’t far off then - the -oy sound is a dialectic variant of -oi (or -ois or -oix - the s and x are silent). We tend to pronounce “moi” (mwah) and “toi” (twah) as moy and twoy when we speak joual in Québec.

3 Likes

It could have been that as well, either way that makes sense of the Irish transliteration to Tobin (which is not a form of Tobias damn it)

It’s funny, but of all the times I’ve been out of the metro-Detroit area, the only street anyone’s talked about has been Eight Mile. Oh, and there’s Vernier - definitely **not ** the same as the ginger ale Vernor’s, that was on Woodward. And Beaubien, too. Kercheval is another. The place is rife with 'em!

I have similar issue with incorrect pronunciation of “washing-tin” & “Washing-TON”. Call me crazy, but I’m positive it’s Washington, with no “tin”.

Yes, I’m painfully aware that you don’t speak Parisian French in Quebec. :wink:

exactly. Tobin is a form of tax.

4 Likes

She chose the nucular option?

Settled by French fur traders, currently inhabited by everyone except Francophones.

If the only mention of Detroit streets was 8 Mile, then you were probably in the northern burbs. It barely warrants a passing mention in the western end. My news feed is Detroit, so the morning traffic report includes some of the worst offenders.

1 Like

François du Roy, pas français de l’Académie. France decided that it preferred to hold on to Martinique rather than Nouvelle France during a peace treaty with the Brits (more fools them - Québec has a lot more resources), so Québec French developed in isolation during a period when the language was undergoing large changes in France, i.e., the Revolution.

3 Likes

Me, I need a libary like a fish needs a bicicle… as long as we can understand what the presidants saying, I could care less what exact words he uses to actually say the things that he’s saying when he talks to the American’s people during his communication speeches.

2 Likes

I can’t even.

But I can odd.
And I can Weird.

7 Likes