Freshman Missouri Rep almost made it 3 months before introducing bill urging members to say "fiscal," not "physical"

Something about sweat on ONJ…

and even more pedantic, it is pronounced:

Wash Ing Ton

2 Likes

Whenever I go to the south or northeast, it is constantly pointed out to me that I have a California accent. It’s usually like the first thing people say to me. “You’re from California, aren’t you?”

1 Like

wuh-SHING-toon

7 Likes

you are sooo wrong. and i don’t care where you live.

4 Likes

wing-TUN?

5 Likes

now you’re just toying with me. next you’ll be taunting me with Oar-EEE-Gone, and the Will-Uh-Metty valley.

3 Likes

Lets solve this now.

@GilbertWham, how do you say Washington?

4 Likes

Oh-REE-goon

4 Likes
12 Likes

Well, I had thought my tooth grinding problem was over…

4 Likes

Oh, I meant anyone who’s never been in Detroit for any length of time, whether they originate from in- or out-of-state. And we’ve got a bit of French ancestry on my dad’s side (Gothro was Gotreau or Gotreaux, no one seems to be too sure), so he made sure we knew how to pronounce the street names that are/were French.

When we were new to Missouri my wife, who spoke fluent French, pronounced Gravois as “grav-waugh” and every time she said it people looked at her like she had a third eye in her forehead. She quickly learned to say “Grav-oi”, as the locals pronounced it.

3 Likes

And if you’re talking about the capital city, and you’re a local, you pronounce it “DC” (or, if you work in it but live outside it, “Downtown”). No one in or around Washington, DC calls it “Washington.” Ever. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The German is equally mispronounced as well… :smile:

1 Like

As a kid, I long wondered why adults would sometimes mispronounce ‘physical’. Also, I once asked my mother, who was a notary public, just what a ‘nota’ was (I knew something about ‘republic’).

5 Likes

This thread is very fustrating.

3 Likes

No, no. It’s pronounced Warshington.

1 Like

(I keed, I keed :D)

11 Likes

Martinique had sugar cane and thus rum.

QED.