Freshman Missouri Rep almost made it 3 months before introducing bill urging members to say "fiscal," not "physical"

Yeah, we just ended up with the necessities to make beer and whisky. Life is tough.

3 Likes

Don’t forget cider!

3 Likes

Well, that’s true - there are excellent orchards in the Eastern Townships.

2 Likes

As long as we’re having fun with local pronunciations, there is a street in the swanky part of Chicago that a taxi driver will only recognize if you pronounce it "GO-/tθ/-EE (“th” like in eighth).

That’s right, it’s Göethe: GU®-tuh.

2 Likes

Same with a street of the same name in my old neighborhood in St. Louis.

1 Like

That’s what the umlaut is there for. Back of the throat R sound. I remember little German, but I’m glad I studied it.

1 Like

Basic Instructions on how to pronounce “Washington”:

Bonus Pronunciation Instructions:

6 Likes

I forgot how fat-shaming that video was. We should have her name removed from all history.

Had never heard of joual before, thanks!

2 Likes

Maybe she was still talking about 1957-8.

2 Likes

Missouri, Missouri, Missouri.
I left you. My little joke is “I moved away from Misery.”

St. Louis, where they still say “Olive Street Road” even though all the signs say “Olive Boulevard.” Actors John Hamm and Scott Bakula came from St. Louis:

Potosi, where window is “wind-uh.”

Ironton, where before sitting down for a meal, you “warsh yer hands.” Or “worsh yer hands.”

Lopped off consonants:
Five dollars is
"Fye’ dollars."

Shifting or drifting vowels:
Highway 44 is
"Highway fahr-tee fahr."

Missouri Compromise? Is Missouri a southern state in U.S.? Can I blame that?

It’s the middle of the middle of the U.S. A strange amalgam of German and mid-Atlantic dialect and some version of southern U.S. English and Jah Knows what else. Behold:
https://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/state_MO.html

Not “midwestern” like the accent in the movie Fargo eh?

Good thing I moved to Texas. My speech is practically dull and normal now.

ETA: missing verb (because missing coffee, it’s my week off the stuff and wow thinking is hard)

5 Likes

You can see the WILL-yam-ETTE from COOCH street, Port-LAND, OR-ah-GONE.

2 Likes

I still want to slap anyone behind cooch Street. That’s a real life troll if I ever saw one.

2 Likes

I had French Canadien professor for my African Literature class, which worked as both a capstone requirement and toward my French minor. The class was heavy on the francophone literature of Africa and he threw in French Caribbean literature for good measure. I remember he talked about the “horse” French (joual) he spoke around the French Department because it really annoyed one of the other French professors who was an insane American francophile.

3 Likes

Hehehe! Love it. :smiley:

We had a whole movement of pop music, Robert Charlebois and so on, that pretty much insisted on joual, partly to express working class cultural solidarity, partly to foment national pride, and partly just to cock a snoot at those (mainly in France, but at home as well) who looked down on people who didn’t speak “proper” French. Ironically, it was these chanteurs who established Québec as a major contributor to Francophone popular culture.

2 Likes

Took me ages to train myself to say it without smirking.

1 Like

No, you couldn’t.

1 Like

I can’t for the life of me find the nucyoolus in those atomic diagrams though.

1 Like

Can we get a bill to stop news commentators from saying “podium” (a stage you stand on) when they really mean “lectern” (something you stand behind)?

http://www.bestlecterns.com/1000-NAT-GROUP-CPY.jpg
#None of these are podiums.

6 Likes

Born and raised in Washington State. I don’t hear really any difference between my accent, Oregonians’, and Californians’. As long as we’re talking west of the mountains. East of the mountains it seems like there’s a difference.

2 Likes