Fried chicken chain offers 'Emotional Support Chicken' to ease holiday air travel

on a tour of some of new orleans’ finest culinary offerings, this was still among my top 3.

This is exactly why I started bringing my own food. After stressing out getting ready for the trip, making it through the airport, and getting settled in my seat, the smell of someone else’s food would make me hungry.

2 Likes

Have you not flown in the last 60 or so years?

You can always bring your own food on board. Which can at times be problematic for other passengers, but they won’t stop you.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to get an emotional support dog during the Yulin festival!

3 Likes

nods I seem to recall that someone did a stunt involving Patrick Stewart, and airline trip, and a very strong smelling tuna sandwich?

I could be waaay off, though.

I have never ever had even the hint of a complaint from the airlines when I’ve done it.

Getting food past the TSA on the other hand is not so easy. So mostly you are going to bring food or drinks purchased from an overpriced airport vender (or “priced appropriately to cover their incredibly overpriced lease”). Normally that isn’t very good, but still tends to bet what the airline serves.

3 Likes

Last month a coworker bought peanut brittle during a work related trip, on her way home the TSA screener was threatening to have her thrown in some room and searched. She was 100% confused and didn’t know wtf he was talking about. He started alluding to her having shrapnel in her purse, she’s even more confused but eventually caught on that the guy thought her bags of peanut brittle was part a bomb of sorts. She reaches over the guy and just pulls it out and stares at him incredulously.

Stuff like this is why i like to fly relatively light, just a small carry on. I don’t want TSA spotting something in my baggage and finding an excuse to harass me (especially since i’m brown).

6 Likes

I usually bring some fries and a burger on a plane when I fly. easier than trying to remember if meals are served on the flight or not.

Understandable. but adapting my behavior to suit idiots leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

1 Like

I almost missed my flight last June because I was bringing some local Macademia nuts to NY for a friend. Turns out this was just the TSA’s latest daft idea.

5 Likes

Now the TSA wants your snacks

I assume this is just so they can see if you have anything tasty-looking they might want?

6 Likes

They shouldn’t be able to confiscate anything without evacuating the airport and calling the bomb squad to dispose of it. If it’s not actually dangerous they have no business taking it.

4 Likes

Hold on! The PETAphiles say We can’t like this

I can tell something about what names and religions you don’t belong to. Some of us get the Special treatment no matter what. My wife doesn’t wear a headscarf anymore but still gets called out “randomly” every time.

2 Likes

TSA workers have families to feed, you know.

2 Likes

Confiscating atomic fireballs.

2 Likes

I seem to recall 20 years ago it was common to see someone with their own snacks, or a “polite” cold sandwich. Bringing a hot meal onto the plane may not have been against the rules, but certainly frowned upon.

Lately I’ve seen pizza slices, full burger/fries/drink combos, anything that’s sold in the food outlets. Basically, anything goes.

2 Likes

Twenty years ago it was much more common for airlines to provide actual meals as part of the service. Now if you are lucky enough to be on a flight with food service it’s likely a “bistro box” or similar horseshit - cold, stale, meager, and expensive.

2 Likes

i think you should do a real compare on what the airlines give (when it’s actual meal service) compared to what you will find in the airport and what you might bring in.

Generally speaking everything is about the same cost. Panera sandwich will be $10-12 out side the airport. Inside it’s $12-15. The airline lunch offerings are usually $10-15 too.

I’m not suggesting any of these are good but the prices are not exhorbetent in comparison and the food quality is about the same. It’s not a nice sit down meal at a restaurant but then even that isn’t always a better option. Most airport terminal restaurants are no better than TGIFridays or Chili’s in quality.

I personally tend to bring my own snacks. Small pack of cheese and some crackers or jerky. Maybe a bag of nuts and dried fruit. If it’s one of my cross country flights (I do fly 3-4 times a year and at least 2 are round trip coast to coast) I find the pre made sandwiches at one of the terminal delis always do the trick. They are made daily and while slightly pricier (supermarket ones are about $7-8 airport ones are $9-12) it’s not so much more that i balk.

Plus the cost of flights are relatively speaking so cheap today compared to 30 years ago. For $150 I can get from one end of the country to the other in about 6 hrs. That’s still a damn bargain assuming it’s not United and they beat the crap out of you mid flight. :slight_smile:

Can I bring my emotional support fried chicken fire log?

5 Likes