From the Martin Scorsese Cinematic Universe: IRISH-MAN!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/04/from-the-martin-scorsese-cinem.html

Tom the Dancing Bug, IN WHICH the Martin Scorsese Cinematic Universe’s IRISH-MAN must gather the other heroes to confront a grave and powerful threat!

4 Likes

giphy (1)

16 Likes

9 Likes

I’m talkin’ to you, right now.

5 Likes

he sort of looks like Toby Mcquire here.

3 Likes

4 Likes

meh. i liked it.

4 Likes

I did too. And psychological complexity was a nice part of it.

I meant to split it into two nights, ended up watching it all in one.

5 Likes

we did too. the uncanny valley de-aging thing was a little weird at first, but i got used to it.

5 Likes

Yeah, it didn’t bother me. For me, a lack of total realism isn’t usually a problem. It’s a movie, after all, which is always already fake.

I also thought the de-aging fit right in with the movie’s theme of aging, of getting old. It was almost like a meta thing – a movie about a protagonist getting old is played at various stages of life by an actor who we’re very aware is also old. Seeing these three old pros acting together (with at least two of them usually acting much younger) was almost poignant to me. Anyway, it added somehow to the movie’s poignant commentary on getting old, and the loss that usually goes with it.

7 Likes

I would have liked it more if it brought anything new to the table.

Really the most interesting moment was right at the end when the priest asked him if he had any regrets.

The rest felt like a Goodfellas/Godfather mashup.

1 Like
1 Like

Can I get a can / bucket of it for Christmas?

2 Likes

I heard you paint houses.

inside joke, had to be there, etc.

2 Likes

I miss these guys. Oz needs them now more than ever.

1 Like

Joe Pesce kept wanting to give candy to that little girl. So creepy.

2 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

2 Likes

A lot of similar elements, but a totally new remix for me. Very different tone and themes. Less violence too, and for once it wasn’t gratuitous.

2 Likes

except, you know, based on actual people and events.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.