Frozen Foster Beach, Chicago: cool photos shared by a Boing Boing reader

[Permalink]

1 Like

Fist-bump to the north sider. :slight_smile:

I was just thinking about the Swedish Bakery, because I was eating some egg bread I made last night (not brioche or challah…exactly like the egg bread sold at that bakery).

3 Likes

Ha, thank you so much!

Yum! Every Saturday I take a walk up to Swedish Bakery and get something sweet with a lil cup of coffee and people-watch from their window.

Thanks for the sweet comments:)

1 Like

Thanks so much, Xeni!

That last photo in particular is incredible. Great work!

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Ann! That shot was mainly about persistence and hanging in there.

Ha, a lil earlier I got splashed/iced on the outside of one of my pant legs, got a tiny bit in my boot. It ended up being fine, but that outer pant leg was iced for the rest of the shoot:)

Hey, Bill…pro tip: don’t go out shooting photos today!!!

Keep warm, brother. I’ve never heard of schools closing for COLD, as opposed to snow/storm conditions. Today is a first.

1 Like

Ha, I will stay in today for sure! You know I wanted to go out, but it’s deadly cold out there.

This morning I hopped on a red line train and took some photos from the last car/rear window. Was just kinda OK because the rear windows were pretty messy with snow and winter goop. Found a nice (warm) place to shoot in the Howard red line station though–might head back there.

Cheers! Are you still in Chicago?

Yes, I am. But on the other side of town from you.

Photography must be pretty important to you, to be hopping the el on a day like this. Surely there must be some indoor shots worth taking! :wink:

Oh, yes. Photography isn’t my full-time job, but I’m always thinking about it or doing it. Here’s a few shots/stories that I’m proud of.

I won the Chicago Reader photo contest in 2012

This was a nice lil 2-page spread in CS Modern Luxury magazine. From our deeeeeep freeze last year.

http://www.modernluxury.com/cs/story/click-13

Yay! Went to Foster Beach this morning and had a great time. The lake was still and the air wasn’t as cold as yesterday. If you want to check out my stuff on Flickr, my handle is billeguerriero on there. That’s where I post the stuff I’m working on: )

Cheers, bud, and have a lovely weekend. Are you gonna check out one of the Lunar New Year parades? I’m gonna go photograph the North Side parade on Saturday. We live pretty close to the Argyle stop, where the parade starts.

2 Likes

That’s some great stuff!

1 Like

Thanks so much! Happy weekend:)

Not to detract from Bill, but how about some “ice volcanos” ?!!!

http://chicagoweathercenter.com/blog/ice-volcanoes-along-lake-michigan-products-of-the-bitter-chill-have-you-seen-them

1 Like

I hope the photographer was using a long lens; I wouldn’t want to have to stand close enough to get the shot, because you know the spray would be freezing!

To top it off, swimming in the lake is going to be impossible this summer.

I’ve seen that video and want to check out those volcanoes. That one is down by Fullerton, I think:)

If you’re interested, I have a set of icy photos from Foster Beach and Montrose Harbor here.

Foster Beach and Montrose Harbor

Gonna try to check out Fullerton and North Avenue beach soon. Cheers!

1 Like

We live on a weirdly beautiful planet.

I hope some people manage to make it to Mars someday. Even if they die there, they should be able to get some awesome shots. Or at the very least, selfies with a cool background.

2 Likes

Sweet:)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.