Fruit Stripe Gum discontinued

Originally published at: Candy: Fruit Strip Gum to leave candy racks for good

4 Likes

Is that really the brand name? I am having a Mandela Effect feeling right now.

Love this bit. Heehee.

I asked ChatGPT for “200 grimly witty words, adroit but not pretentious, about how food marketing is a good example of evanescence of everything branding evokes” but no matter how I rephrase the prompt it just replies that it sees Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus in the same room and there’s nothing anyone can do about it

3 Likes

I mean, yes Fruit Stripes is terrible as a gum, but what’s unpleasant about Yipes the zebra?

12 Likes

I don’t think i’ve even seen or heard of this gum before :man_shrugging:

1 Like

It’s terrible. Worse than Trident.

4 Likes

Fruit Stripe is an amazing experience for about 10-15 seconds. Then you wonder why you did this in the first place.

So you put in another piece.

Repeat until you learn your lesson or your mouth is too full to chew.

14 Likes

shebear

9 Likes

I remember having this gum when I was growing up in the 60s & 70s, along with the various Wrigley and Clark gums (Juicy Fruit, Doublemint, Teaberry, etc). I don’t see those old style flat gum sticks for sale much of anywhere anymore and I had no idea this one was still being made; I would have thought it was already discontinued if I had thought of it at all.

2 Likes

I had a friend call it the “amyl nitrate of gum,” with a fast rush and quick return to baseline. I’m not popper experienced but the comparison always made me chuckle.

7 Likes

FYI: the “mascots” link is sending me to a phishing page. I think it’s a malicious ad.

2 Likes

Growing up, it was literally the only thing I would get at Toys R Us. When I was around 8 or 9, the arcade I used to ride my bike to (or my dinosaur to, if you feel I’m not being ‘old enough’) had a Toys R Us across the street from it. I used to go in and look at all the toys I couldn’t even think about buying.

2 Likes

Parks And Recreation Nbc GIF by HULU
Even when I was young I thought it sucked.

2 Likes

It was mind-boggling how quickly that gum lost its flavor. I liked the mascot though.

6 Likes

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

5 Likes

The main reason I remember Fruit Stripe gum is that it was made by the Beech-Nut company, and their factory/headquarters was in central New York right next to the Thruway. So every time we drove to visit family I’d see the factory and be reminded that Fruit Stripe gum existed. And then still never chew it. Not good gum.

5 Likes

yes, came here to post this. as a kid I remember it tasting amazing for a minute or two and then nothing.

5 Likes

You should be with me
You should drop that bum
'Cause I got more flavor than Fruit Stripe Gum

7 Likes

it made me think of this song:

4 Likes

NOW we’re talking. Beemans was (is) the best. Gimme that Black Jack all day long.

5 Likes

This, exactly. It seemed to be just barely hanging on, maybe 30 years ago.