Frustrated feline swipes at cat show judge (video)

Which I would argue should have earned kitty at least an honorable mention, not a disqualification.

8 Likes

6 Likes

What terrible ‘cat etiquette’ the judge had.

Seriously, though; she failed to read all the warning signs and is lucky the cat didn’t do more damage.

10 Likes

With some exceptions, it feels to me like cat and dog shows reward animals who act as little like animals as possible. The “ideal” cat or dog is essentially a living decorative vase to them. I assume this is because if they embraced cats and dogs’ unique appearances, behaviors and foibles, it would become impossible to choose a winner.

15 Likes

GSDs have hip problems because of breed appearance standards. It can be quite illustrative to compare recent show photos with much earlier ones

9 Likes

cat: I will not be judged by the likes of you.
good day.

I said “good day”

8 Likes

Don’t even think about embracing my foibles! :pouting_cat:

4 Likes

6 Likes

Claws are most likely trimmed. Notice the cat used its teeth first, which isn’t usually a first resort.

4 Likes

That cat is absolutely channeling it’s inner Gus From Craigslist:
www.tiktok.com/@gusfromcraigslist

From my POV safe here in my office: once that cat bit her, she should have backed away. It is amazing how fast they can get you. Why did she proceed? Then again, likely she did the best she could.

4 Likes

many people think they know how to handle cats. that cat was clearly annoyed and the handler should have backed off.

what is more interesting is there are folks that will defend her, saying what she did was okay, like the cat was wrong or something. smh

3 Likes

Exactly. A cat bites and you back away. Like I said, biting is rarely a first resort for a cat. It’s the kind of behavior they learn when swatting doesn’t get the point across. It’s why declawed cats usually just bite.

2 Likes

A couple of months ago, my wife started screaming in our front room. The cats can look outside through the windows there, and there was some heated interaction with a neighbor cat outside. My boy cat was hooked onto the screen window and yowling. I went to help him get his claws out of the screen and he bit me so fast it was impossible to see. His sharp little teeth didn’t make any mark at all, but I did bleed a bit.

Anyway, I knew better but thought maybe I could help.

2 Likes

Unless you want to bleed, either wear full body armor when dealing with angry cats or stay the F away. Sometimes I have to go outside and break up an argument between our regulars and some interlopers, which usually involves me being Very Big and Loud, but no close quarters combat.

3 Likes

It happens. My cat Casper did the same once when he was cornered by my in-laws’ golden retrievers. They just wanted a sniff, but he didn’t know that. I reached out to pick him up and take him upstairs. He let go of me as fast as he bit me, but it still went through the skin. It was that fast. He was so gentle and friendly 99.9% of the time, but fear will do that.

I just think the cat in the video could not have been in such an extreme frame of mind. My guess is there was an injury the judge couldn’t see. Cat judges are used to very docile animals, but cats can hide their pain very well. If it had a nasty bruise, no one would ever really know.

3 Likes
4 Likes

My Tabbyguy goes for biting first when annoyed. He doesn’t have most of his teeth and knows he can’t bite through anything. So it’s more like a warning shot or an attempt at play than a reaction to a threat.

1 Like

Black cat addressing the crowd after attacking the judge…

“I am Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer…Volguus Zildrohoar, Lord of the Seboullia. Wait for the sign, then all prisoners will be released.”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.