Frying an egg during a flood

Originally published at: Frying an egg during a flood | Boing Boing

3 Likes

To be fair, that was a lot of oil to fry an egg, tho. ^_____^

7 Likes

There’s a lot of ways to cook an egg. I don’t make them this way but i have seen others cook it like this :slight_smile: my grandma would make them like this and you get a really nice crispy edge without overcooking it

6 Likes

I use less oil so I can hear rushing floodwaters and escape earlier.

7 Likes

I use a Hello Kitty! egg ring, but the trick to to cover the pan.

5 Likes

I mean, when I was less concerned about how healthy a meal was and before I went vegan, I had been known to fry eggs in about the same amount of butter.
Utterly delicious.

9 Likes

And now BB is only discussing the oil for the egg. :joy:

15 Likes

You use butter or bacon fat with eggs!

8 Likes

People have more opinions on food lol. As far as the flood goes all i have to say is: Nope

6 Likes

It wouldn’t be my choice, but this is a totally valid form of flood and I’ve seen lots of other floods like this. You get really nice crispy erosion around the foundations this way.

19 Likes

It feels like the insistence on focussing on the egg not the flood is a metaphor for something. But I can’t quite grasp what it is, because frying eggs is all I know…

10 Likes

Quite the waterproof house.

5 Likes

There’s the whole aspect of “at this point what can you really do about it anyway? May as well fry this egg.”

I mean, you’ve already flooded the pan with oil, are you just going to toss it all because you used too much?

2 Likes

I use lots of oil to keep my cast iron pan well seasoned, and less prone to rusting in a flood.

12 Likes

Guilty. Guilty. Guilty.

2 Likes

I have used toaster oven or oven oven to briefly broil fried eggs to set the yolk and crisp them a bit, but power may be out in a flood.

1 Like

I marvelled at that also. I can only guess the ground floor is flooded and the water level hasn’t yet reached the egg-cooking room.

2 Likes

Those eggs are being basted. Common technique. My mother cooked eggs like that in a cast iron skillet with about a half inch of bacon fat. You kinda splash the hot fat over the eggs to cook the yolks a bit.She did it because she couldn’t turn the eggs over without breaking the yolks.

2 Likes

To make proper “monsoon” eggs you need a lot of oil.

1 Like

We always had bacon fat for the iron skillet growing up. And I was pretty good at cooking eggs.

If I did get a little crazy with the greasy, I would get those crispy edges, but I tried to avoid that.

Now I have a stainless steel pan and I use butter (don’t cook bacon) and it just is not the same… I probably use too much heat too… but it rarely is as good.

2 Likes