Fuck Elon Musk (Part 2)

Here We Go Again: Elon Musk Reportedly Plans to Unveil Tesla Robotaxi at Warner Bros. Studios Lot

6 Likes
5 Likes

User comment on the Gizmodo story:

He’s holding it there because, like many studio lots, it has a self-contained city set on the east side of the lot. So he can have the robotaxi pretend to operate in a “city” with roads and building, etc without regulatory approval for running on public roads. Otherwise this would end up being held in an empty parking lot with traffic cones. Wouldn’t really sell the idea that this is an actual robotaxi. The Sony/Columbia lot has a much smaller “city” that is grid-like and the Fox lot has a similar setting. And Disney isn’t going to allow him on their lot. WB’s is curved streets and tall/NY type buildings.

These are the outdoor sets referred to in the comment:

7 Likes

Makes sense. In more than just one way.

4 Likes

Where’s my yawn emoji?

4 Likes

Hopefully they got the timing programmed in correctly otherwise some stunt people are going to have a bad day. (Baby carriage rolls into the street, small child chasing ball, cars flipping over in high speed chase, massive explosion etc. etc.)

6 Likes

In hindsight, the consensus was formed that maybe it wasn’t a good idea to get Michael Bay to direct the demo.

12 Likes
6 Likes

I’ve seen that before when it’s a non-American government vs tech company story. There’s some kind of assuming the default going on where any American regulations are normal, but by any other government are strange.

8 Likes

a_coyote_and_a_truck_by_aldrinerowdyruffboy_dd326ua-375w

4 Likes

… maybe robotaxi can serve briefly as a boat

5 Likes

Yup.

3 Likes

"Sittin’ up here in my cabin,
feeling the sway of the load.
Live weight all moving and shifting
But the big wheels are holding the road
It rained last night on this highway
The edges are soft all along
and I wanna make town by sale day
So I don’t move her off for no-one.

I'm the worst in the world 'cos I take up the tar There's plenty of cursin' from every car, They call me a roadhog, a truck driving fool They've got me branded

Worst in the world."

(Slim Dusty. Worst in the World. Lights on the hill album.

2 Likes

The good news is that the USA and Brazil have an extradition treaty dating back to the 1960s which allows for (among other situations) US citizens who have committed what both countries consider a crime to be extradited to Brazil. The bad news is that it is no longer clear that attempting to overthrow a government is illegal in the USA, or even a prosecutable crime if you’re wealthy and/or powerful enough, or a certain ketchup-hurling traitor and seditionist would already be in jail.

Seriously, does anyone think for a moment that the US government would allow the richest person in the world be extradited? A guy who, let’s make it clear, has chosen to live in/attempt to build a working subway under/be a citizen of the USA, to be extradited to another country to face charges? The man personally pays (well, his accountants pay) about $11 billion a year in taxes, he is the CEO of companies with huge government contracts and grants, there’s the prestige issue involving ‘richest man who isn’t Putin’ being a citizen, as well as all the financial, social, and political fallout that would ensue? I can hope and dream, but I ain’t holding my breath on that one.

5 Likes

… they may just have to come get him

I saw some Irish media commentator suggesting US tech oligarchs might reconsider landing in Europe.

You kidding? A sudden coup in Brazil and a full court media blitz on how it’s not ideal but it sure preserves free speech is so very much more likely it’s really not funny.

4 Likes
3 Likes

But celebrate victories when they happen.

6 Likes

Carole won a big one recently enough. She’s been living the fight for years.

4 Likes
5 Likes