Fuck Elon Musk (Part 2)

5 Likes

[…]
It’s tough to say whether Musk never cared about the climate, only using it as convenient posturing to earn some profit, or whether his views have just shifted so much in the years since he lost his damn mind because trans people exist. Coin flip, really.

7 Likes

So how will it do when the temperature plummets and winter has come? Well, some Redditors are speculating that road salt spread on wintry roads won’t be so kind to the Cybertruck’s aluminum frame, not to mention its extremely high maintenance steel exterior.

They may well be right. Metal experts and people who shape aluminum for various applications know that the metal does corrode and weaken in the presence of salt water under certain conditions.

Though it’s not clear what kind of protective coating is covering the aluminum or the quality of the metal, the fact that the consumer model of the vehicle has had a whole host of quality control issues should give anybody cause for concern.

“Brilliant,” one Redditor posted. “We sent you an unfinished truck that will deteriorate within weeks of contacting road salt. Good luck.”

8 Likes

Checks the spec documents for the CyberTruck…

Ooooh! There’s a typo! It’s supposed to be a steel frame with aluminum panels! Oops, sorry!

/s

9 Likes

Put it in salt mode… although Elon Stans always seem to be in salt mode as a default setting.

10 Likes

So, go to the mode dialog dialog mode, and select Goblin, Demon, Rain, Salt, Carwash, Boat, but leave Crematorium alone?

Hang on, I’ll check the manual.

5 Likes

Found it!

season 3 starz GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

9 Likes

Yeah, is this thing even galvanically protected? You’ve got aluminum and stainless steel in close proximity, and while I would hope they’re not in direct contact, even getting wet and creating an conductive channel may cause rapid corrosion of the aluminum. Add salt, maybe a tiny little bit of current from all those electronics, and all bets are off . . . unless they have some protection.

I’ve been following the Battleship New Jersey Museum channel, and they just underwent a major drydock refit where, among other things, they swapped out all the zinc anodes (best for ocean water) for aluminum (best for brackish water), over a thousand of them. They also have an electronic system that helps keep the steel hull from rusting too much. Does the cyberthing have anything equivalent, or is it just relying on some plastic washers to avoid direct contact between the metals?

And, if any readers actually own one of these things, may I suggest going over to the Battleship New Jersey website, where they have a bunch of their old zinc anodes for sale? Bolting one of these to your frame may well keep it from corroding through, as opposed to just snapping. And maybe look into that whole electronic active corrosion protection thing, if Tesla haven’t already implemented something like that.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t bet against metal washers or just plain glue. You’re assuming way too much competence with plastic washers.

4 Likes

@blackanvil & @sqlrob

You’ve got this all wrong. This is not a design flaw; it’s the secret Winter Range Extender!

2 Likes

… I’m sure they can fix it with a software update

5 Likes
7 Likes

https://www.fastcompany.com/90804703/insiders-biggest-payouts-elon-musk-twitter

These people got the biggest payouts when Elon bought Twitter

Several insiders received big windfalls. Here’s what they are doing with the money

8 Likes

You can buy sacrificial anodes in any boating supply store. No need to bolt on a bit of a battleship. Though Elon’s weird nerds would probably prefer that

3 Likes

I guess if someone wants to keep their CyberTruck in their swimming pool, that could work. :man_shrugging:

I’ve noticed that the companies selling those for cars usually disappears just before the warranty claims would start, and up pops another incorporation offering the same gadget.

4 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/27/business/energy-environment/tesla-electric-vehicle-charging.html

3 Likes

Brazil top court justices to vote on Monday on X ban

BRASILIA, Sept 1 (Reuters) - A five-member panel of Brazil’s Supreme Court will vote on Monday whether to uphold Justice Alexandre de Moraes’ ruling to shut down social media platform X in the country.

Moraes, whom X owner Elon Musk has labeled a “dictator,” has called a virtual session of the court’s first chamber - of which he is a member - so peers can review his decision.

Brazil’s Supreme Court has 11 justices split between two chambers of five members each, not including the chief justice. They can vote to maintain or reject decisions by a single judge.

4 Likes

Remember: if it’s banned in Brazil it’s a leftist woke anti free speech plot.

TikTok bans are perfectly cromulent on the other hand.

ETA
This isn’t censorship either.

8 Likes
4 Likes

I see Jack but I hear Tommy.

1 Like