Fuck Elon Musk (Part 2)

as far as I remember, it wasnt. gaffs cop-car was flying, deckards was just a normal ground-vehicle. but I could be wrong.

1 Like

“Warte bis die Bullen weg sind!”

Back in the ‘70s when increased visibility was seen as a good thing. Nowadays it’s perceived as a better design choice when you literally can’t see children/women as you mow them down in your monster truck.

I have a lovely book with his designs in it including that.

4 Likes

I though it was more similar to Totall Recall’s JohnyTaxi, but even that had a bigger front window.

Comparing the cybertruck to Syd Mead designs is… I was going to say misguided and unfortunate, but is Space Karen we’re talking about. Syd designs combined sharp lines and beautiful curves… Here are the drawings for Blade Runner.

6 Likes

Yeah, it looks to me like a lot of the designs from the R.Q. Riley catalog I pored over and devoured as a kid in about 1982 (Total Recall used a bunch of 'em as background vehicles).

Check out their (mostly now defunct?) webpage - these are the same designs I was obsessed with in '82, and they look a LOT like cybertruck:

2 Likes

EM: Yeah. Video is the highest bandwidth way to consume information. Sometimes people wonder [about] Gen Z, “Is their mind rushing or something because they’re just watching short videos over and over again?” But actually, video is the highest bandwidth means of communication. Certainly, what video you are watching, of course, that can be dubious, but obviously, that is the best way to consume information. You can think of a meme as really compressed information, where you’re conveying many different ideas in a single image with some text.

3 Likes

If Syd Mead (or his studio) had designed the cybertruck it would look good. And be functional.

4 Likes

Watch the cybertruck struggle to negotiate a stretch of (sand? dust?).

Bulletproof (well, subsonic) but not crossbow proof. The future is here, and it’s even more dystopian than we feared.

What kind of nonsense is that? Unless you’re a person with reading difficulties you can almost always get more relevant information on a topic by spending 5 minutes reading an article than by spending 5 minutes watching a news clip. What a dope.

[ETA: to be clear this quoted text comes from Musk, not @vermes82]

6 Likes

Well it is the “highest bandwidth” mode alright.

Unless you count VR which is even higher. I think he thinks it’s a good thing. He’s not alone. Edison thought that too.

Edison was a lot of things…

2 Likes

I hate how the quote function makes it look like this was Vermes82’s opinion :smile:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Okay, so they maybe were a tad too optimistic…

4 Likes

Fidelity says it’s less, and they tend to value it optimistically.

3 Likes

I think he would have done a better job on his deathbed.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I guess Dilbert Stark never solved the icing problem.

6 Likes

elron of mars was. as usual.

edit/ 2 years old, but should still be relevant;

1 Like

Yet another elaborate pump and dump.

2 Likes

Musk’s broadband satellite kingdom Starlink now cash flow positive – or so he claims

2 Likes