Fuck Today, Continued

23 species removed from endangered species list, the bad way unfortunately.
https://www.fws.gov/news/ShowNews.cfm?_ID=37017

4 Likes

So evidently this is hitting people who got married via Zoom during the pandemic:

USCIS does not recognize the following relationships as marriages, even if valid in the place of celebration:

• Polygamous marriages; [3] ā€‹
  • Certain marriages that violate the strong public policy of the state of residence of the couple; [4]
  • Civil unions, domestic partnerships, or other such relationships not recognized as marriages in the place of celebration; [5] ā€‹
  • Relationships where one party is not present during the marriage ceremony (proxy marriages) unless the marriage has been consummated; [6] or ā€‹
  • Relationships entered into for purposes of evading immigration laws of the United States. [7]

People are being legally required to show that they have had sex.

2 Likes

Marriage by proxy where one member isnā€™t present? Consent seems like it might be a problem.

Just like weā€™re baptizing your ancestors- weā€™re marrying you to someone in abstentia?

7 Likes

Yes, but you donā€™t think there should be any allowance for when you are in a global pandemic and there is a travel ban? Both people are ā€œpresentā€ in a zoom meeting in some sense, no? The policy might make sense in the abstract but it is being applied badly in the concrete, although Iā€™m not sure it ever makes sense for the government to tell people what they have to do in the bedroom to be considered a legitimately married couple.

16 Likes

Just when you think airline companies couldnā€™t sink any lowerā€¦

8 Likes

What I donā€™t understand is why there isnā€™t one special row they can remove the seat from (or fold back) and strap a wheelchair (motorized or not) down the same way they do on city buses? :man_shrugging:

16 Likes

United breaksā€¦

Guitars
Faces
Wheelchairs
Just about anything

6 Likes

Planes should have required space like parking lots must have disabled spaces. One empty space for a motorized wheelchair on every plane with recessed places to latch straps for tie-down. With a seat next to it for the owner of the chair to sit during flight.
On every single plane.

16 Likes

(I know you know. Like Kii implies, if they arenā€™t required, it wonā€™t happen.)

19 Likes

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes

Money. And some law and logistics.

The average aisle width in a jet is smaller than the average wheelchair. Special width chairs are used in the jet to board. Electric wheelchairs are getting larger & heavier. Good news for capability and distance. Less so for limited space. My friend says with a new battery they can go ten miles on a charge and up to 12mph if needed. It weighs 300lbs.

Iā€™m not sure about door width, but I think that would be okay.

They would need to take a row of first class space for this. Airlines donā€™t like loosing that big money. And unlike other transportation modes air travel doesnā€™t have the same ADA requirements when in the air. Airports have more stringent requirements than airlines while flying.

Advocate groups are working on this issue and I hear thereā€™s some progress internationally.

17 Likes

A lot of wheelchair seating systems are custom designed for the user and jet chairs would not be a good substitute or comfortable for many bodies. And wheelchair restraints for vehicle usage are made to a higher safety standard than jet restraints.

Another good argument in favor of the accommodation.

17 Likes

Their seats barely accommodate anyone over 100 pounds, because they make more money if they cram a crap ton of people into child size seats. No way they would ever have wheelchair seating.

5 Likes

I did not know that. TIL. So, donā€™t even need an extra seat, just a place for the person and their wheelchair and use of already standard vehicle restraints.
Wheelchairs should be treated just like prosthetics. A part of the personā€™s body, not some accessory that can be taken away for hours or days.

17 Likes

People

1 Like

The spirit of each and every one of their passengers

3 Likes
14 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes