Fuck Today, Continued

Pay it with shiny copper portraits of Lincoln, dumped on the AG’s doorstep.

18 Likes

Dammit GIF by Big Brother

17 Likes
2 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/27/us/dulles-cbp-seize-bongs-trnd/index.html

There’s so much wrong in this article. CBP seized bongs, which is dumb in its own right. But the article also discusses a currency seizure separate from the bongs.

“While inspecting the couple’s carry-on bag, officers discovered an envelope concealed behind the carry-on bag’s zippered liner. Officers verified the couple’s combined currency at $23,641. Officers seized the currency for violating U.S. currency reporting laws and then released the couple with $641 as humanitarian relief,” the release said.

The couple declared $10,500, but had another $13,141 hidden away. Ok, dumb, and illegal. But CPB seized everything but $641 (“Humanitarian relief”). They should only be allowed to seize the illegal $13,141. But, nope.

7 Likes
9 Likes

Albatross divorce rate is way up

3 Likes

‘Music is being used as a weapon’: Spotify users and artists react to CEO’s €100 million investment in AI defence tech

Anyone here know if Bandcamp’s any good? Aside from paying artists more?

10 Likes
11 Likes

Anyone here know if Bandcamp’s any good?

Payment processing (VISA, Paypal) fees can be a flat amount and can eat into small purchase profits for artists; that’s the only complaint I’ve read. The artists I’ve chatted with on Bandcamp personally haven’t complained about it. It’s more or less the only music source I use these days. Reason enough would be that it lets me download to my own streaming server. When Google Play stopped allowing downloads I stopped using Google Play completely.

7 Likes
8 Likes
15 Likes

Well I buy an album a month there just because as well as things I might need outside that and I do like their radio show. I listen to it on a Saturday morning cooking and cleaning and stuff and I see music from those shows pop up on people’s music recommendations here.

And during Covid lockdown they waived their fees on the first Friday of the month.

And they actively promoted artists and labels donating to BLM (again no fees).

So yeah, they do seem like the good guys.

Major caveat though is that if a record company is involved they are actual literal thieves. Indies as much as majors. In fact I can introduce you to many people who can explain how very much worse Indies can be. Simple organised crime.

6 Likes

Follow up:

9 Likes

Update on Daughter’s Eyes

We are at the hospital and the doctor confirmed cataracts in both eyes. Apparently, the left eye is worse than the right, so they are going to operate on that eye first. They cannot do both eyes at the same time, so she will need two surgeries, each requiring a weeklong hospital stay after. The right eye is not as bad, so they are going to see how the surgery goes on the left eye before scheduling the surgery for the right eye.

Update: The soonest they can get us in for surgery is the end of February. They said it can wait until then.

Two surgeries is rough…

27 Likes

You see, MY band/venue/label has achieved EXACTLY the right amount of success and market penetration to be COOL, and anybody who is less, or more, successful than I am is a loser or a sellout

3 Likes

I am not religious, but I am sending you and your daughter good vibes. In case you are religious I’ve asked my mother to put your daughter on her church’s prayer circle list.

15 Likes

I really appreciate that. We’re not religious, but in my experience, good vibes usually seem to do some good.

I forgot to mention before, but they did not determine the cause today. They will do blood work a couple of weeks before the first surgery.

14 Likes

Unleash the Archers says Bandcamp is the way to go, FWIW.

4 Likes

Nope. And you can find out those stories yourself without even knowing people who have been on both indie and major labels. Let alone those who have been more successful on Indies and less on majors (yet earned more on the majors as they were robbed from less exuberantly) which isn’t difficult to find either.

Nothing to do with cool, everything to do with the inherent criminality of the record business.

1 Like
2 Likes